06 January 2010

Can You Dig It?

I've learned a lot from my pool skating brothers. If you want to skate, you can't be afraid to put in a little work. As of Sunday, this is what our tiny backyard looked like. The ladders belonged to the Psycho Painter Dude—long story—and those screens have been off the windows for months. We got the ladders moved to a garage. I moved the screens to another spot on the property.

The dog and I were out there attending to boards. I waxed and put the leash loop in the new hull. Then I did some Solarez surgery on the JB performance noserider.


On Tuesday, I started looking at the yard with an eye toward accommodating the mini-ramp. That's when I went on the attack, removing decades old rose bushes that would inevitably shred me and Soul Brother #2 to pieces when we fell off the ramp. I made them go away. Believe me when I tell you that took some work. In fact, the bush behind the clothesline was a monster. The branches were like tangled, sharp tentacles. Soul Brother #1 had to help me with that one. Its removal required a saw, small clippers, big clippers and a shovel. But by the end of my few hours of clearing, I could see I was on the right track. The point is to make some space for the ramp.

So, out of curiosity, I began digging around the ancient clothesline pole that was probably installed (as was the one on the other end of the yard) when this duplex was built some time during the early part or middle of the last century. I wanted to see how much concrete anchored it into the ground. I was also trying to determine how deeply this thing was set into the ground. I decided I would start digging. I was intent on literally getting to the bottom of this pole. Let the digging begin!



I tried.

Then Soul Brother #1 tried.
Dammit, that clothesline is still there. We've got it to the point where it's rocking back and forth. Obviously, we're close. Close to what? I'm not sure. Nonetheless, I think we're making progress. But the question now is: How in the hell do we get this thing out? Any ideas?

12 Comments:

At 1/6/10, 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How in the hell do we get this thing out? "

In the words of the esteemed JJ Walker.....dyno-mite!

 
At 1/6/10, 9:15 PM, Blogger Travel / Surf Guy said...

6 foot "pinch bar" and a big block of wood (to lever it) and a lot of grunting!!! Good luck sis.

 
At 1/6/10, 9:21 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

What's a "pinch bar"?

 
At 1/6/10, 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

put the hose in the hole and float it out

 
At 1/6/10, 10:44 PM, Blogger Worm said...

i get home friday and can come over any day after that. it'll be super easy. i have the bar and knowledge

 
At 1/7/10, 9:33 AM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

Can I come throw my knees out when you get the thing installed? :-)

 
At 1/7/10, 9:37 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Of course, Whiff!! I fully expect to have a (small) yard full of grown ups over here falling off this ramp. You are always welcome!

 
At 1/7/10, 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

agree w the above(worm)....just man-up & rip it out girl!..haha-Ozzie
ps- a saw could cut the pole at ground level...we can build over it..

 
At 1/7/10, 8:54 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Soul Brother #1 tried to pull it up out of the ground when I wasn't home yesterday.

We had to put a heating pad on his back last night. LOL!

Today, I put some water in the hole to make the soil less resistant. Then I just start moving that pole around. The hole is definitely getting larger. I tried hanging on it, thinking I could force the pole further out of the ground.

Now the heating pad is on my shoulder! LOL!

 
At 1/8/10, 10:45 AM, Blogger El Hefe said...

"Then I just start moving that pole around. The hole is definitely getting larger. I tried hanging on it..."

Sounds like a Penthouse Forum I read once.

 
At 1/10/10, 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing more annoying than the sound of skaters pounding a back yard ramp in a residential neighborhood,
except perhaps a constantly barking dog.

 
At 1/10/10, 7:01 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

It'll be as annoying as our next door neighbor's belief that everyone within a two mile radius wants to listen to his music.

I won't skate it every minute of the day. There are waves to surf, a kid to mother and a husband to wife. As for the dog, he's a Beagle. Barking is not his preferred mode of vocalization.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home