20 December 2009

Knee Replacement: Eight Months Later

The improvements now are much more slow than before. Nevertheless, the improvements continue. I can finally crouch, painful though it is. In addition to the massage therapy, I've begun forcing the flexion on my own. Several times a day, I kick up my foot behind me and let it rest on a low counter. Then I force a little more bend than I'm used to. Then I hold it. This seems to be working wonders. The way I see it, I've had limited flexion for many decades. It will take some time to regain some of that back. I don't know that I will ever have the bend of my natural knee. It's not something that keeps me up at night by any means.

People tell me I don't surf like I've got a fake joint.

Waves show me no mercy when I get caught on the inside.

I don't have a handicapped parking placard (although it would come in handy at breaks with difficult parking).

I can run if chased.

End of story. While I don't intend to stop talking about the fact that I've had a joint replaced, I see no reason to continue doing monthly updates. I'm better than I've been in a long time—meaning I recognize that the thing I'd feared for the past few years (that is, knee replacement) has come and gone without my life changing drastically.

1 Comments:

At 12/23/09, 1:20 AM, Blogger tango said...

Aloha Surfsister....you da woman! You have inspired me all along your journey. I really appreciate your ZEST for life and commitment to keeping us all informed; whatever the subject. There's nothing like paddling and making the drop "eyes wide open" and making it through to the other side! Both in surgery and in the reality of surfing itself! Keep on gettin wet, paddling out, taking off, making that waves, and keeping stoked! Oh and by the way....December 20th was a monumental day for me...I made the drop and the wave too...check out my knee blog: http://www.SurferKnees.com

Peace,

tango

 

Post a Comment

<< Home