15 December 2009

Do I Look Like a $%&@$! Rolling Stones Song to You?

I'm always reminded that I'm different. Usually, it's the stares I get as I paddle out to the lineup. Sometimes it's the conversation (which does get old, people) about the fact that the person who initiated the discussion had never seen a black woman surf before.

Today it was the guy telling me he'd come up with a nickname for me. (No, I didn't know this freak of a man.) Then he apologetically told me he was going to call me "Brown Sugar".

Now really. Really? Really? While he did not say anything overtly racist or insulting, I'm certain he would not have been amused if he'd paddled out to a lineup full of black folks and I'd said, "Hey there, Frosty the Snowman!"

I've seen a dwarf surfer a couple of times. Do you know what I did? I watched him surf. I did not stare. I watched him like I watch other surfers on waves. In my eyes, he was a surfer. Period. I did not paddle up to him to start a conversation about the two of us being aberrations.

We're just surfers. If I'm sitting in the water on a board and you're sitting in the water on a board, then it's obvious that surfing is the bond we two humans have with one another. Why would you want to point out the ways in which we are different (especially when they're readily apparent)? Enjoy the ocean, share the waves and . . . well . . . shut the $%#@ up!

11 Comments:

At 12/16/09, 9:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hate to say it, but I could see his "nickname" for you coming a mile away (of course, I had a big fat clue from the post title). Maybe he was just having a Michael Scott moment, but I'm sure no woman would like to be called "brown sugar" or even just "sugar" by a stranger. The former being doubly offensive. If you ever see him again, call him "Whitesnake" LOL!

 
At 12/16/09, 10:03 AM, Anonymous Glenn said...

I love this post. So well written.

 
At 12/16/09, 12:34 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

Frosty the snowman.. LMAO!!!!

 
At 12/16/09, 2:25 PM, Blogger Jamie Welsh Watson said...

Amen. Jeezum Peets. Frickin' boneheads.

 
At 12/16/09, 2:54 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

You're not even brown! ;-)

 
At 12/17/09, 3:15 AM, Blogger BeFrank said...

Here's hoping you make your Hawaii trip happen. Nice to see you're still blogging.

I was just making the rounds and thought I'd say, howdy.

Howdy.

 
At 12/17/09, 6:55 PM, Blogger Travel / Surf Guy said...

hey sis - what a moron, sad thing is that the world is full of them. If you see him agaon, tell him to get f%&#d

 
At 12/18/09, 12:11 PM, Blogger pabs said...

I have a great nickname...bestowed upon me by my fellow surfing buddies, not strangers who act like complete KOOKs! It's ONE-Mc...which stands for One-man-crowd, as I tend to be a bit of a loner out in the water, while purposely paddling away from all of the so-called "chatters". :-)

 
At 12/18/09, 10:53 PM, Blogger SB mike said...

Hey Surf Sister. SOmetimes one wonders why people generalize about totally surfer dudes.
Stay strong and try to do the roundhouse cutback spray in his face as paddles out.

 
At 12/19/09, 1:48 AM, Blogger Growling Gecko said...

I think he fancies you!

 
At 12/29/09, 11:16 AM, Anonymous surf lessons los angeles said...

Alan: haha Michael Scott moment, true that seems like the case.
I love this article.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home