19 May 2005

Too Taboo to Discuss in Polite (Surf) Society?

Today's session was a good one. I was back at my home break, which tends to be fairly uncrowded on weekdays. I was also on the 9'0" Chris Slick board. Now I know why every surfer must have a quiver. The Tyler is a great board, but I was so tired of surfing it. I needed a change. How can you make a change to your routine (or should I say "rut") when you only have one board? Being on the Slick has brought a smile to my face. It's much lighter and much faster than the Tyler, yet it is designed to stay put when you step up to the nose. What's not to love? And it doesn't make my arm longer or put a flat spot on the top of my head each time I try to carry it to and from the water. I'll be surfing the Slick for the next few weeks.

Once again, I had a guy tell me that he pointed out a wave that was mine and that I didn't take it. Alright, let's just be truthful. Yes, I have said that I sometimes choke when the guys call out the waves to me. This was not one of those instances. There is another reason why I often let perfectly good waves roll on by. Hey, Surfsister + cold water = one thing: a lot of peeing in the wetsuit. There. I said it. No one ever talks about it, but I'm not ashamed (she says with her head held high). When Kevin called out that wave, I said in my normal speaking voice, a voice that cannot be heard over the sound of the waves, "I can't get that wave. I'm indisposed." I'm not going to yell. Nor am I going to advertise the fact that I'm doing the deed as you're talking to me. I remember that early on in my surfing life, I was asking other female surfers how one handles her business while out in the water. Men are socialized to handle their business wherever they can find a private spot. This is not the case for women. When you've spent your entire life peeing while sitting on a toilet, it's hard to learn how to do it in any other setting. Am I right or am I wrong? It took months before I could actually do it in my wetsuit. Even then, I'd have to close my eyes, block out everything around me, and concentrate. Now, I can pee at will. But, I cannot pee and paddle. So when you see me let a beautiful wave go by, don't assume I'm a wimp. I may just be busy. Thank you for your time and your patience. I probably won't bring up this subject again.

7 Comments:

At 5/20/05, 10:09 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

Hilarious!

I can't do it, you know. I've tried, but I just can't. Good thing I have a big bladder. I've learned not to drink coffee before a surf session.

 
At 5/20/05, 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grace, I'm hanging out next to you from now on....

 
At 5/20/05, 3:09 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

I did it twice today. (You did say pee, right?).

 
At 5/20/05, 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up.

 
At 5/20/05, 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I've done it twice in the last year and a half and that was for a couple of reasons 1) we drove forever to get to the break, 2) peeing in my wetsuit was a better option than using the public facilities, and 3) it was cold. Funny though - I've never peed while at my home break...it's always when I'm at a different break.

 
At 5/24/05, 11:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I cannot comment on that.

 
At 2/6/12, 5:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

so surfing by you is like surfing next to the san onofre power plant, a little warmer in your vicinity..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home