06 May 2005

At Least the Sun Was Out

Now I know why the other bloggers keep using the term "Victory at Sea". I'm not even sure what it's a reference to (although I vaguely recall a program on TV that bore that title). I started out at Sunset. That was dumb. I hadn't checked the tide chart. Yes, there was a low tide at the same time on Tuesday. Well, it wasn't low today. But that was fine. I met up with someone from our break who hadn't been there before. Even though we didn't get in, I schooled her on Sunset, showing her where you get in, telling her what the waves are like, warning her of the rocks, and of course telling her to be careful because it's a break filled with new surfers (of which she happens to be one). No, I didn't get in but I'm glad she now feels confident enough to go to Sunset alone. Anyway, we agreed to go back to our break. It took some coaxing from others to get me in. I don't like the wind. It's not so much what it does to the waves. It's that and the fact that I get cold quickly when it's windy. But I eventually got in. I caught a handful of choppy waves. You know, the thing I hate most about these kinds of conditions is the paddle out. It wasn't hard or anything like that. I just get sick of all that chop hitting you square in the face. I usually paddle with my mouth open slightly. On a calm day, it's not big deal. But on a choppy "Victory at Sea" day, I end up having to constantly spit out water. I hate that. It wasn't a bad session. It just wasn't a session worth discussing.

I don't know if I'll surf this weekend. Yes, it's Mother's Day on Sunday. And, yes, I am a mom. But this year, Mother's Day and my husband's birthday fall on the same damn day! No, I'm not thrilled. I have to try to juggle his needs, the needs of the grandmothers (my mom and his mom), and the needs of my child over the next two days. I have to get these people fed and celebrated on a day when going out to dinner is not for the faint of heart. Hmmm, I can't say I'm looking forward to this. I may get a session in though. I've already helped my husband with the gifts to me. I knew he was scrambling to find something. So, I dragged him and the child to the Rip Curl store. "I want that" (a big surfing backpack with many compartments) and "I want these" (a new pair of flip flops). That's good enough for me. If we had money, I might want more. I don't know. I'm really a low-maintenance female. All I want out of life is to be happy and healthy. Material things, while necessary, are not all that important to me. Everyone have a good weekend. Try not to stress out about Mother's Day. Let your mom know that she's important to you. That's what I'm going to do. We'll sit here, eat, and get looped (on Trouillard or some other good champagne). Have a good one!


My reason for loving Mother's Day!

4 Comments:

At 5/6/05, 5:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Give yourself a mother's day gift and grab a session! BTW, you're right "Victory at Sea" was a TV show about the WWII naval battles, and for some reason it always seemed that the boats were doing the rising high and plunging into the deep trough thing in dark grey stormy weather.... sound familiar? Board rising and falling, spray in the face, crumbly, unrideable waves? Happy M's Day!

 
At 5/7/05, 1:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Alan has hit it right on the noggin. Old TV show as he described (and of course the water was grey...it was in black and white!). That still doesn't explain the origin of the term, it's something I heard as a kid and it probably has to do with the show since I couldn't trace down where it started.

 
At 5/7/05, 1:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yeah, and, again as Mr. A. said, Happy Mother's Day!

 
At 5/7/05, 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Write yourself a coupon for a Mother's Day Surf and cash it in when the "conditions" aren't so crowded.

Happy Mom's Day from one surfn mom to another.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home