07 June 2011

Dry-Docked and Making the Rounds

I headed down to San Diego yesterday to pick up my new Salted pig. I think I love San Diego. It's hard to know for sure since I'm never down there for long. Guess what I did the last time I visited San Diego? Drove down to meet Alan to pick up a board and then immediately drove back to L.A. I've got to flip that script and actually hang out down there.

The board is now sitting in the living room in a board bag that belongs to Jim Phillips. Gene Cooper loaned it to me when I got my Flexpig. My intention was to return it to Phillips while I was down in San Diego. But when we realized my Salted pig wouldn't fit in the bag I'd brought, I ended up taking the new pig back up to L.A. in Phillips' bag. And it's not like this is some beautiful bag that's made of steel. It's ripped, dirty, thinning and basically being held together by a few wisps of material. For whatever reason, that bag seems to want to live at my house for the time being. And I'm okay with that. Still, I have every intention of making sure Jim Phillips gets his bag back.

While I was in San Diego, I traded texts with my friend Andrea. I'd already sent a message to Cher. Unfortunately, there was no way I could actually try to see people. Although we'd arranged for grandma to pick up the kid at school, we still had to rush back to L.A. in order to beat the horrendous traffic that brings the freeways to a stop after a certain hour.

I did, however, make time for one stop. J.P. and I have known one another through our blogs for years. I'd been down to Moonlight on one occasion—to pick up a board, yes—and he wasn't there. I was intent on finally meeting him and seeing the surf shop. When I walked in, I was looking right at him! J.P. is cool! You need to shop at Surfy Surfy today, tomorrow and forever!

There will be no surfing for me until next week. I've once again gone under the needle. I spent part of Sunday getting some art added to the tattoo I got in November. Does it hurt more if it's done on a spot that's all muscle? I don't ever remember tattoos hurting this much. As far as I'm concerned, no more ink. Although I endured the pain and am happy with what I got, I really have better things to do than to sit around being tortured with a needle. Of course, there's not anything else I want in terms of a tattoo. So maybe I am really done.

8 Comments:

At 6/8/11, 4:08 AM, Blogger Freaky Born Wings said...

Hey surf sister, show us your new ink!

 
At 6/8/11, 5:37 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

The only reason I haven't posted the tattoos by this artist are because I don't want the first one copied. The one she did in November is a wave with Polynesian-themed work in it. It's beautiful. I started feeling like that wave needed more, so I added turtles moving toward that wave because turtles, much like surfers, start out on land and then rush to the water. So the turtles, in my mind, actually represent surfers and surfing. Maybe I'll post a picture at some point. We shall see.

 
At 6/8/11, 1:48 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

I have about 3 more tats I really want..But again.. I just cant bring myself to give up the water time.. maybe next winter. =).....

 
At 6/8/11, 5:46 PM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

Same one more to go, that's 4 and that's it. The one I have on my solar plexus, just under my rib cage was the worst.

 
At 6/9/11, 6:35 PM, Blogger harmless neighborhood eccentric said...

how many boards? you are worse than even me!
super shakas waved southward

 
At 6/9/11, 6:40 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I think . . . oh my god! I was going to say I have nine boards. Now I think it's 10:
1. 9'3" PG/SK hull
2. 7'0" PG/SK hull
3. 9'2" Almond Surf Thump
4. 9'0" Cooperfish Flexpig
5. 9'0" Salted Alternator
6. 9'1" Salted James Brown Performance Noserider
7. 7'3" Ted Gallup bonzeriffic speed egg
8. 7'0" Soul Performance custom thruster
9. 7'6" Jon Wegener Blue Gill
10. 8'0" Almond custom midlength

(11 through 13 are 4th Gear Flyer surf mats)

Wow! My quiver is beautiful!!

 
At 6/10/11, 6:25 PM, Blogger harmless neighborhood eccentric said...

most beautiful!

 
At 6/19/11, 12:38 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

JEALOUS! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home