02 June 2011

The Ramp Gets Resurfaced with the Scent of Bacon in the Air

I cannot believe I've finally gotten a serious surface on my ramp. And don't think it was easy. First, I had to find someone who had the expertise to work with Ramp Armor or Skatelite. Then, I had to figure out which of the two guys would (1) do the best job, (2) actually follow through with the job and (3) not piss me off. I finally went with Jim Bell and Aura Skateboarding Company. I just got a sense that he had it together more than the other guy. I also knew he'd built a bunch of ramps and bowls throughout Southern California. I won't even go into the details about the delays because, frankly, they weren't as bad as I thought they were. In my mind, I'd given him a deposit and it took almost a year and a half for that stupid Ramp Armor to come in and for him to finally put it on the ramp. Actually, we were delayed about a month. And when you're working with a contractor of any sort, that's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. The long and short of it is that Jim did what he said he was going to do. He and Shawn, his helper, did an excellent job. They're also nice guys. And I now have a faster, quieter ramp to skate over the summer (as well as throughout next week when I will be dry-docked because of some new ink).

Oink!

Oink!

There's a new pig on the way. It's the one I've been waiting for, the one I specially ordered, the one my shaper friend has turned into a labor of blood, sweat and tears. We've flipped the script a bit on this one. No D fin. I have two such honkers in my quiver. I don't need one more. This fin will be glassed on nevertheless. We talked of doing the pickup on Sunday. But I'm going to get inked in the morning and he's got to be somewhere in the afternoon. So, I will have to figure out another day when I can head south for my porcine beauty.

In other news, I saw Prince in concert last Sunday. I went with the "I've got nothing better to do" attitude that is typical of me when I agree to express an interest in something in which I have no interest. The joke was on me though. That concert was fantastic!! That tiny little man can bring it. I do not find him attractive. I don't love his voice. I don't particularly like his music. But there I was, throwing my hands in the air, clapping, dancing and having a wonderful time. Had that not been his last night in L.A., I would have gone back to see him again even though I'm still not a fan. Live music performed well is a beautiful thing. Remember I said that!

2 Comments:

At 6/2/11, 11:18 PM, Blogger Rebecca Olive said...

I totally know what you mean about Prince. But I must admit that despite the fact that I don't find him at all attractive, I cannot deny that he is one very sexy wee man! He can bring it in the live stakes, for sure.

Yew!

 
At 6/3/11, 5:43 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

"Wee man" being the operative words. The height doesn't bother me, but the high heels and kind of delicateness don't do it for me at all. He's still a bad ass performer though. I will give him that and admit I was wrong. His talent is boundless and he proved it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home