11 January 2011

The "Flat Winter Surf" Dance Party



It occurred to me today that I haven't had a good dance party on this blog in awhile. What's that about? I think 2010 started and ended with such a bang that I was too tired to think about dancing. Someone recently told me that we're coming out of the Year of the Tiger, a very intense year. I can honestly say that last year was one of the greatest years of my life. It wasn't an easy year. I guess it was one where I allowed myself to spread my wings. I held nothing back. In many ways, it was as if I drew a line in the sand and dared others to cross it. I just wasn't having it (whatever "it" is and was) in 2010. If nothing else, I allowed myself the freedom to be me. That's not easy for any of us, especially when we have responsibilities and feel the weight of the expectations of those around us. At some point, I just said, "No." I wanted and needed to soar, whether that meant I flew into the sun, only to have my wings melt and send me crashing to the Earth, or stayed aloft.

Someone told me that I was evolving into the person I will be for the next 10 years or so. That made perfect sense to me. I was changing. I have changed. I've said before that I don't believe stasis is a good thing for humans. Nevertheless, change is hard. Change is troubling. Sometimes it hurts. If nothing else, you must have faith in your own ability to find your center. I know who I am. The Mary (my actual first name) from last year is much like the Mary of this year. (How gauche is it to refer to yourself in the third person? I know!! But I'm making a point, so don't think ill of me.) I can see, though, that the person I was in 2009 is not the person I am in 2011.

I guess I'm feeling a bit contemplative. I'm ready to have more of a laid back year now. The line is still there in the sand. Only one person crossed it last year. And much to my surprise, fangs I didn't even know I had slowly emerged. Interesting. I didn't know I had that in me. Year of the Tiger? That makes sense to me.

Since I could not find anything to surf today, I realized it was time to dance off some of this energy. In the early 80's, all I was doing was dancing to two tone ska. I still find it hard not to bounce when I hear this stuff. I didn't used to think that was such a long time ago, but now I realize that was a long time ago. I was still a teenager. Now I'm old enough to be the parent of a teenager!! Ack!! That was a long time ago.

It's supposed to be flat again tomorrow too. As I told my friend Glenn earlier, "the ocean needs days off too". Let's hope there's a little something to surf on Thursday.

2 Comments:

At 1/12/11, 3:33 AM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

I was dancing my arse off in the 80's too. A lot of crap music when I think about it.....One of the additional frustrating things about this sore foot/ankle (which is getting better now) is that I couldn't even have a dance on New Year's Eve....:/

 
At 1/18/11, 2:59 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

SPECIALS... as you know one of my favorite concerts.. Last year I skanked the night away from the moment they came on stage to the last song... Didn't know I still had it in me..BUT you just have to move..the beat is almost as addicting as surfing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home