28 September 2009

Flattery Will Get You Everywhere

I attract them like moths to a flame, like flies to you know what. It.never.fails.

I surfed a local localized break today. Prior to the knee replacement, I'd surfed this break all of one time. Call me a wimp. In many ways I am one. I don't deny that when it comes to surfing with the overly aggressive. The place always scared me. I'd heard too much, read too much, thought too much, and knew I never wanted to go back there.

Since the knee replacement, I've been there three times. When I got there today, it was somewhat crowded. My first inclination was to leave.

I stayed. And I surfed. I left Surfsister the Shrinking Violet in the car. Surfsister the Bionic was the one who paddled out. My first wave started with a paddle battle. Normally, I won't battle. Today was different. I was in no mood to give up waves. My wave! So I kept paddling. I popped up. Then I gave the stinkeye to two guys who wanted to drop in. I wasn't having any of that today. My wave!

It was a good session for my confidence at unfamiliar breaks if nothing else.

After the session, a guy beamed when he saw me emerge from the water. He greeted me as if we knew one another. Interesting, I thought. I don't normally surf there. So how did he know me?

Once I got to the car, the guy waited for Soul Brother #2 to walk away before he approached me. He extended his hand. I shook it.

"You are probably the most beautiful woman I've seen in a long time. I just had to come over and tell you that." I was gracious in my reply.

(Sigh) I'm not lying when I tell you I think the guy was blind in one eye. He was slurring his words and I swear I detected a missing tooth or two. Upon returning to the car, Soul Brother #1 told me he'd seen the guy approach me. Once I described my admirer to him, he was laughing too hard to do the jealous husband bit. Then he gave me a sincere compliment—smart man—and we left.

3 Comments:

At 9/29/09, 9:54 AM, Blogger twin said...

smart man indeed!

 
At 9/29/09, 2:46 PM, Blogger Phishdoggie said...

Can you dig it? I knew that you could! I'm back and headed on the road to recovery. This side is much better already.
Fishman
><((((">

 
At 9/29/09, 3:54 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

hahahaha.. a few weeks ago when I was done surfing, I decided to take a walk on the pier. I was hit on by some man fishing.. old enough to be my dad and missing teeth also.. LOL.. his friend said better watch it.. looks like she could kick your ass...(I guess all the paddling has built up the arm mucles.) Wonder if it is the same guy making his rounds,hitting on the female surfers
;-)! But Damn M.. we are still hot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home