24 April 2009

Tough Chicks Need Vicodin

Yeah, I went back on the pain meds yesterday. And I get why they're necessary. What I don't get is why people who aren't in pain find them entertaining.

I think, though, I pushed through a major pain hurdle with regard to the knee. It seems to have loosened up quite a bit and my quads are actually beginning to contract. From what I've gleaned when reading knee replacement forums, the major strengthening post-surgery is in the quads. During the operation, the quad muscles are cut in order to give the surgeon access to the knee joint. Then, of course, the quads are essentially lifeless for awhile, especially since most knee replacement patients stay off their feet for weeks. I've pushed the envelope. I know that. Yesterday I pushed a little too hard. But today I'm feeling the benefits. My quads are working. I can easily contract them, which means my leg won't lose as much strength or stability because I've already made them remember what they're supposed to be doing.

I slept with my leg in the torture device for four hours. While I'm sleeping, I put it on easy settings. The point is to simply keep the joint moving.

Today, I feel remarkably better than I did yesterday. My leg no longer feels dead. It's weak though. When I sit or get in the bed, it won't lift on its own. I have to use my hands to pick it up. That too shall pass once my quads get stronger.

I slowly walked around the corner, on my cane, to my mom's house today. She was not happy to find me at her front door, thinking I'd really overdone it this time. I hadn't. It's just that my leg felt good and I knew I needed to put some weight on it for a bit. Each step I take makes those quads do a little more work. After coming back home, I iced the knee.

Today is a good day. I can already see the light at the end of this tunnel. Guess what? There's a surfboard down there too!

6 Comments:

At 4/24/09, 10:10 AM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

just go easy on the Vicodin so you can use the leftovers to bribe the locals into giving you waves.

 
At 4/24/09, 6:07 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Wow you are goin fast M... that's so cool.!
Although don't over do what you have been instructed to do, tough guy.

take care

 
At 4/24/09, 6:51 PM, Blogger christian said...

Vicodin is good stuff. I think I, uh, read that somewhere. Yeah...

Pain meds can be a drag, but being pain free and able to rest comfortably is an important part of the healing process. They were really useful when I had my nads roto-rootered. It was the only way I could sleep. :)

 
At 4/24/09, 7:44 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I'm not going that fast, Bill. I read this knee replacement forums where people say to take it easy and not push it. But then I think of my doctor and the physician's assistant encouraging me to walk on it (probably not like I did today) and kind of push the issue. I suppose I'm experimenting since no one has a definitive answer with respect to the recovery from this surgery.

I took a picture of my incision and the accompanying staples today when I changed the dressing. Only one word describes this: GNARLY!! It looks like there are about 100 staples down there. I want to post that picture. At the same time, I don't want to turn anyone's stomach more than I already do! (Cue rim shot!)

 
At 4/24/09, 8:22 PM, Blogger Patch said...

Look at it this way, you will have a natural drop knee turn. Heal and be healthy.

 
At 4/24/09, 9:10 PM, Blogger pranaglider said...

Sounds like you have a handle on it! Really hate pain meds myself Vicodin is useless for me. But they are a necessary tool for getting from point A to point B in the recovery process. Looking forward to seeing you at the next mat meet since I will be missing this one too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home