22 April 2009

That Was Gnarly!!!

My 8 inch scar and I are home safe and sound. I got bounced early for being such an independent, low-maintenance patient. I took a couple of morning constitutionals around the orthopedic ward with the walker early today. I was bored and tired of being in the bed.

I still feel like shit, but in a good way (if that's possible). The surgery was easy. All I remember was sitting up and talking about how interesting the operating room was. The next thing I knew I was being wheeled into my room. The serious pain didn't hit until the next day when the spinal wore off. The staff and I began the oral pain meds a little late in the game. That left me with a few hours of excruciating pain and serious nausea from the meds. When the meds finally did kick in, I was able to get a few hours of sleep at a time.

I didn't have much pain today until I came home. I took some Vicodin. That dulled the pain while intensifying the stomach issues. I've got a continuous passive motion machine and a machine that provides cold to the area of the body that is hurt. I've also got a cane. The physical therapist said I didn't need a walker or a raised toilet seat. I was and am easily able to make due without them.

I'll be a much more pleasant person when and if the swelling ever goes down. Nonetheless, I made the drop. Eyes wide open.

And lived to tell about it.

10 Comments:

At 4/22/09, 8:50 PM, Blogger Bill said...

I am soooooooooooooooo
happy to hear this M.

I got a big shit eatin grin on for ya right now

get well soon...obviously it will go good an quick

heal on Sis

:)

 
At 4/22/09, 9:41 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

welcome back! Really glad to hear it went well.

 
At 4/22/09, 10:09 PM, Anonymous Esther said...

Wow - that sounds pretty intense. Good luck with the recovery. I hope you're back in the surf very soon.

 
At 4/22/09, 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great News

 
At 4/22/09, 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, best wishes for a speedy recovery. Cheers Mark

 
At 4/23/09, 6:35 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

I know you'll be back in the water in no time. Best wishes!

 
At 4/23/09, 8:45 AM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

Right on. You don't need one of those geriatric toilet seats. F*ck that shit! :-)

 
At 4/23/09, 9:05 AM, Blogger Jamie Welsh Watson said...

Oh I feel so relieved to be reading this!! I am thinking so many good thoughts for you. Of course you got bounced early. You rule!

 
At 4/23/09, 11:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

welcome back, glad it went well, and hope the unpleasantness passes soon!

 
At 4/23/09, 2:51 PM, Blogger christian said...

I am glad to hear that you are home safe and sound!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home