23 May 2005

Wax Off

We all know about my obsessive-compulsive behavior with regard to the wax on my boards. I freely admit to having a problem. The wax on my board must be perfect. Period. Why? I have no idea. I think since surfing, in my eyes, is a truly beautiful sport—and I've never used the word "beautiful" about any other sport in which I participated—I tend to see beauty everywhere. I see it in the boards. I see it in the waves. I see it in the surfers themselves. A good wax job just adds to the beauty of a surfboard. After surfing the Slick this week, I noticed that the wax job on it was dying. There were huge bare spots on the deck. Yep. Time to switch to a harder wax. But the shops tend to have the softer waxes, even in the warmer months. I want to be able to wax the board and not worry about it for awhile (thus enabling me to slightly control my obsessive-compulsive tendencies). I'm almost embarrassed to say I spend quite a lot of time researching wax. This weekend I was back on the Sex Wax site trying to figure out which wax to use. I don't like that sticky stuff. Hard wax is what I was after. I ended up ordering wax from the site. Luckily, I could re-wax the board without having to wait for my package because I found some hard Sex Wax that some shop probably gave me when I bought a board. (Why do so many shops give you leftover wax that you either don't want or won't use?) I had enough hard wax to re-wax the Slick. Dumbest thing I did this weekend: I waxed my surfboard in the living room with both the child and the dog in the room. One kept launching himself back and forth over the board (child) while the other walked back and forth on the board (dog). That's one board down. I still have to attend to the Tyler and then wax the Con (if I ever get around to picking it up). The Channel Islands hasn't been surfed yet. So even though it's got cool water wax on it, I'll leave it alone. I'm not that obsessive-compulsive.

7 Comments:

At 5/23/05, 11:51 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

And after I get the Cooperfish all fixed up (I just want to take care of some glass shatters before they get worse), you're waxing it! Tell me what kind of wax and I'll buy the supplies if you'll honor me with your skills!

 
At 5/23/05, 2:37 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Get the red label of the Sex Wax. Three bars should be more than enough. We'll use that as the base. That should stick for a good while. Then you can put a softer wax on top of that when you wax up for your sessions. That's what I'll be doing. Just let me know when. You know how much I love to wax surfboards!!

 
At 5/23/05, 7:17 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

No need for three bars. One bar should do it. But it's always best to have extra wax for those "just in case" events.

 
At 5/24/05, 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many coats of the red label do you use for the first application? What kind of softer wax did you get? (Blue? or Orange?)

 
At 5/24/05, 10:58 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I don't really pay attention to "coats" per se. I just go east and west, then north and south until the bumps appear. Then I keep applying the wax until the bumps are the size that I prefer. I'm only using red label on the Slick. It's not there as a basecoat. The red label is my wax of choice.

 
At 5/24/05, 8:16 PM, Blogger OutdoorChick said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5/25/05, 7:24 AM, Blogger OutdoorChick said...

Surfsis, you're not the only one that loves to wax boards. Someone with the 50+ surfboards now (you know who) is obsessive about his wax jobs as well. Have you seen his latest creation? His board, Cuyna, has an impeccable wax job, and he took it to the next level by adding an outline of a woman on the deck - very nice job. Check it out next time you see Marlon. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home