22 August 2010

How Hard Does This Thing Have to be?*

Unfamiliar break. Overhead waves. On a mat!

I suppose if you're going to learn from some of the best, you have to see them on waves that allowed them to show their stuff. And that they did.

What did I show? Well, let's see . . . I showed how to get the mat snatched from your grasp while getting worked. I then showed how to lose your fin in the shorepound. I think I will spend days giving lessons in the fine art of getting sand out of dreadlocks.

My goal, though, was to see mats being ridden by people who know what they're doing. "Watch and learn" was what I went to do. All I can say is that I got schooled . . . in the best way.

Riding a mat well is difficult. Good mat riders make it look easy. I, on the other hand, make it look like what it is. Nevertheless, I remain undaunted in my efforts to become comfortable on the mat. I'm going back out on the mat on Tuesday and plan to make riding the mat a consistent part of my water routine.

This picture is indicative of why I ride a mat:
Jason and Prana sharing the stoke!


* That's what he said!

6 Comments:

At 8/22/10, 11:12 PM, Blogger Growling Gecko said...

Great pic and go girl, they are so much fun. Now I have got have got the hang of it, I am rarely put on a board anymore! Damn I wish I had been there today and really looking forward to seeing the footage!

 
At 8/23/10, 8:01 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

Surfsister, Thanks for coming down and bringing your beautiful family! The pictures are great!

 
At 8/23/10, 10:49 AM, Blogger Graham said...

you did awesome mary! good to surf with you!

 
At 8/24/10, 2:37 AM, Blogger GRAYMAN said...

Great shot up top.

Looks a real blast and I'm so glad to see Matmeets cropping up globally.

How many made it in the end? Looks like a predominently mat only lineup.

:)

G

 
At 8/24/10, 5:45 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I'm not sure how many people eventually showed up. I'm going to guess that if we'd all been in the water at the same time, there were about 12 matters out there. But that's just a guess. It might have been more.

 
At 8/29/10, 8:16 AM, Blogger P.O.P. Surfer said...

Thats a real memory for me... I just pulled out a bunch of pictures of me and my dad at OP..me coming in from a mat session. BLACK BALL, but they still allowed dogs on the beach. I'll post it on my site this morning- and then load the one with the pier burned out in the background.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home