01 July 2011

The Proper Occasion


The revolution will not be brought to you by Xerox in four parts without commercial interruptions.

The revolution will not give your mouth sex appeal.

NBC will not be able to predict the winner at 8:32 on report from 29 districts.

There will be no pictures of Whitney Young being run out of Harlem on a rail with a brand new process.

There will be no slow motion or still life of Roy Wilkins strolling through Watts in a red, black and green "Liberation" jumpsuit that he has been saving for just the proper occasion.

Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies and Hooterville Junction will no longer be so damn relevant and women will not care if Dick finally got down with Jane on Search for Tomorrow because black people will be in the streets looking for a brighter day.

The revolution will not go better with Coke. The revolution will not fight germs that may cause bad breath. The revolution will put you in the driver's seat.

The revolution will be no rerun, brothers. The revolution . . . will be live.

Roy Wilkins would never have worn red, black and green. Ever.

But I will sport my red, black and green "Liberation" wetsuit whenever the proper occasion presents itself. Summertime surf seems as proper an occasion as any.

Power to the people!

10 Comments:

At 7/1/11, 6:16 PM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

Love it! We are having a ceremony next Tuesday to raise the Aboriginal flag at the college where I teach. FINALLY....some recognition of the first Australians at a local level. Looking forward to it because I know how much it will mean to my Aboriginal art students.

 
At 7/1/11, 6:34 PM, Blogger Okemah said...

Gil would be proud!

 
At 7/1/11, 6:40 PM, Blogger goofykook said...

You will not have to worry about a dove in your bedroom, a tiger in your tank, or the giant in your toilet bowl.

Or people not identifying you in the (surf) lineup.

 
At 7/1/11, 10:36 PM, Blogger harmless neighborhood eccentric said...

live.....

 
At 7/2/11, 12:29 PM, Blogger pabs said...

Is that one of those custom suits from the Japanese guy? Nice.

 
At 7/2/11, 2:09 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

It is. And I just ordered a new winter suit from him since mine is still warm, but is showing signs of me riding my mats over rocks. You can't beat a custom suit for the perfect fit and the comfort.

 
At 7/3/11, 1:58 PM, Blogger pabs said...

What's his contact info: need to get a 5/4 wit hood and wanted to see if I could order such from him.

 
At 7/3/11, 2:03 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Well, you need to find out if he's coming up your way. I say that because he measures you first. And that takes a good 20 minutes. Then once he has your measurements, you can order wetsuits at will. But getting measured is the most important part of the equation.
http://www.intermission-info.com/reunion/index.html

 
At 7/4/11, 7:08 AM, Blogger pabs said...

The measuring is not the problem, as I will be down your way at the end of August...throwing log blocks for Christian at BCB and, hopefully...surfing naked (at least it will feel that way for me with no 5/4 on me bod). :-) Thanks for the info...and yes, I'll hit you up too.

 
At 7/4/11, 7:13 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

You'll be down here? Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to watch out for me at BCB (the place which I've labeled RPB). I'm the one who's always going left . . . when everyone else goes right. But there are left there. If people would just pay attention, they'd take note and surf accordingly!

Do you have my email address?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home