07 October 2009

Karma is Your Mother

In the past, I've alluded to the fact that, as surfers go, the word that best describes me is "polite". I tend to follow the rules, give up waves, smile, hoot for other people and try keep the tone in the water mellow.

I was not that person today. I take that back. I showed the other side of that person today on one wave in particular.

I dropped in on someone. Blatantly. Unapologetically (which is a lie because I apologized to him later even though I wasn't earnest when I did so.)

One of my friends chastised me for doing so. I paddled up to her later and told her what led to such egregious behavior on my part.

There is one guy in the home break crew for whom I have no respect. I flat out dislike him. I am civil to him. He has no idea that I can't stand him. There's no need to share that sentiment with him since I only see him in the water. For years, he's taken my waves. He'd see me paddling for one, paddle right next to me and just go. Being the polite person that I am, as well as one who'd prefer not to imagine the physical aftermath of a collision in the water, I would always pull back.

No.

Not today.

It was a left. The shoulder was heading right for me. He paddled and popped up, going left. I then paddled and popped up. All I saw out of the corner of my eye was him crashing and burning.

Good.

When I explained our history to the friend who'd chastised me, she said, "Oh. Karma."

Yes. Karma. That was payback, James Brown style.

Who's your mommy now?

I had a bag custom made for my 8'0" hull. It arrived today. My god, this dude knows what to do with a sewing machine. And he shreds on a surfboard too! Tea Bags

5 Comments:

At 10/7/09, 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah but you're right back at the beginning with this guy because you actually apologized to him.

 
At 10/7/09, 4:59 PM, Blogger pranaglider said...

Sadly, this is sometimes, how the game is played.
You burn me so I look you right in the eye and burn you back. I bothers me but I do it.

 
At 10/7/09, 5:07 PM, Blogger christian said...

That bag is sweet! And fuck that guy. I wish I could surf with you in the mornings. We could stuff that guy all day long.

 
At 10/8/09, 7:32 AM, Blogger Phishdoggie said...

Surfsister, like you I am a very polite surfer that plays by the rules and just wants everyone to have fun. I hoot for friend and strangers a like. It seems like in surfing as there is in every sport there has to be these dicks that are just working too hard. I don't know what it is ego, low self esteem, or they are just plain assholes. Glad to hear you kicked some ass but then apologized. It shows your a bigger person. I would have done the same thing.
><((((">

 
At 10/14/09, 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know you and your friend probably weren't serious, but i must point out that "karma" has nothing to do with burning someone who you don't like, or getting back at someone who's wronged you in the past.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home