06 May 2013

I Left My Heart in San . . . a Town Further Up the Coast


You've got to love a town with a decent surf statute. After seeing all that's done about and to the Cardiff Kook, it was nice to see such a bad ass work of art related to surfing. I was even told that if I got up close enough, I could see up that dude's shorts. (Yeah, like there was anything to see!)

I was seriously impressed by the breaks I saw and surfed. The water wasn't overly cold. The shape was to my liking. The conditions, at least on the first day, were fantastic—the sun was out and the wind was non-existent. My only gripe was that I never got a chance to ride a decent left. Frankly, I liked the place so much that I quickly forgave it for that faux pas.


We went into a liquor store at one point. This cup was sitting right in front of the cash register. I didn't even ask about it. I simply smiled and made sure to take a picture.

I wanted to do an extended blog post about this, my first bona fide, surf trip. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to take my camera. I got on the road at 4:30 a.m. About seven hours later, I arrived at my destination. I'd been told to be there by noon. Low tide was at noon; the waves would be best then. I pulled into the parking lot around 11:30. I think we finally paddled out at 12:30.

It was the best surf trip ever! Granted, it was my first surf trip, but I don't think any trip could get much better than this one. My only regret is that I didn't get a chance to meet Steiny face-to-face.

7 Comments:

At 5/7/13, 7:44 AM, Blogger KK said...

wow! I'm guessing this is somewhere close to SF... looks beautiful!! a liquor store with a booze fund... nice? I'm unsure of what to think of it. haha

 
At 5/8/13, 11:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! I have been doing CRAZY amounts of searching for black surfers and I came across your blog. I will be in California this summer and I REALLY REALLY want to learn how to surf. If you could help in any way at all I would really appreciate it...

 
At 5/9/13, 1:05 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

Surf trips are fun.. Furthest I have gone has been South to visit surf mama ;-).. I always tell everyone it's my "tropical surf vacation"!
Furthest North has been Seal Beach.. But I think I may surf Malibu.. Just to say I did .. And Ventura!!
Glad you were able to surf a new break! Bummer not much pix.. Especially from you ..where was your photographer?? ...;-)
And the booze fund is hilarious!

 
At 5/9/13, 3:02 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

That trip was for me and me alone. No child. No photographer.

Wasn't that booze fund a riot?

 
At 5/9/13, 8:05 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

Oh Good For You!! I'm glad you take care of yourself like that:-)

 
At 5/10/13, 2:55 PM, Blogger B.D. said...

Glad to hear you had a great time in the "Cruz"! Probably the best surf town on our coast.

 
At 5/10/13, 8:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

been wanting to go to Santa Cruz for a few years now great story glad you had fun. Went to San Francisco a few years back for the Rip Curl Pro and had a blast.Oregon has some nice breaks too but were quite a drive away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home