02 April 2013

Just When I Thought Surf Blogs Had Passed Their Usefulness to the Point of Absurdity . . .

I find a pearl.

Actually, I find many pearls in surf blogs, including my own. The issue for me now is that I've been at it for about eight years. The world as we know it has changed quite a bit since I started blogging. Those changes are especially apparent in the way we now communicate.

There was no Facebook when I began this journey in 2005. If you wanted to talk about surfing, you blogged about it. There was no such thing as a tweet. Flickr was the only place I stored photos. I had no big interest in sharing them. Now? Instagram is all the rage.

I now walk that fine line between wanting the immediate feedback that is certain when you have 500 "Friends" and wanting to simply put some thoughts out into the ether without caring who sees them. This is probably why I seem to have a love/hate relationship with my blog.

This is not even what I was trying to talk about in this post! See, this is another reason why I love blogging. You can just run your mouth as long as you damn well please. It's your space. You make the rules. If other folks don't like what you've said, they can write their own blogs.

Anyway . . .

one does find pearls.

I do read past entries in other folks' blogs. I would do it more often with this blog, but this blog is just so damn long! I seriously can't even keep up. It's easier to read my friends' blogs. They jog my memory almost as well as my own blog does.

The pearl I found in T's blog?

Oh, I was given a new rule for dropping in on others-"They gotta a leash on? Go!"
"When they get good enough to surf without one....well..."
Makes sense to me. 


Then, there's the pearl I found in B's blog:

Back to School
This may truly be the very best three words in surfing!  Theoretically thinning the crowd, but between high unemployment and home schooling you might be hard pressed to see the difference, especially on a good swell. Back to school is a particularly welcomed phrase as it points to the changing of the of the seasons, a return to NW swells and  variable winds more common in the fall.


Blogs have a certain permanence that I found comforting. As a result, I can see the evolution of each blogger over the years. I include myself in that too.

I'm not giving up on this blogging thing just yet. I am seriously not done talking about surfing!

Pray for surf worth blogging about.

3 Comments:

At 4/3/13, 3:32 PM, Blogger B.D. said...

Keep blogging. I love it.

 
At 4/3/13, 4:39 PM, Blogger Steve and Cher Pendo said...

Thanks for sharing, Sis :)
Love and Aloha, Cher

 
At 4/14/13, 7:53 AM, Blogger mcope said...

I always look forward to reading your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home