04 March 2013

From Summer to Winter in Fewer Than 24 Hours

Saturday was, well, Saturday was a summer day, wasn't it? The sun was so bright, so dominant that it was difficult to see the features of those of us who were out in the water. It turned us all into silhouettes—happy ones.

It was easily 80 degrees with offshore winds and waist high sets. Summer, or at least the illusion of summer, was upon us. In other words, it was hot and I was ecstatic.



Sunday? Oh well.

It was easily 60 degrees with onshore winds and not much swell to speak of. It looked so damn dreadful that I knew I'd be in for a lot of disappointment on my board. I opted for the mat. At least the mat would ensure a fun session if nothing else. (What people often don't realize is that I actually prefer to ride the mat when the waves are good. However, there are usually way too many people in the water, thus riding the mat becomes an exercise in futility. You get on the board to ensure both your safety and your wave count.)


I managed to bounce off one of my friends during the session. After an SUP rider took one wave too many, I figured I'd just take one for the team. I went to cut him off at the pass. As I was doing so, a friend was passing in front of me, trying not to get run over by the sweeper. AHAHAHAHAHAHA! She got run over by me instead.

It's pretty funny to see the reaction of those who are run over by a mat. I guess they think injury is the likely outcome. We all know it isn't. The typical outcome? Laughter.

Pray for summer to return!

1 Comments:

At 3/4/13, 7:55 AM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

I still want to attempt mat riding!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home