25 February 2012

Getting Rid of the Frankenboot

Yep. I threw it out.

Okay, no, I didn't. I took it off. Therein lies the beauty of these horrible boot things they make you wear when you break an ankle. The boot is adjustable and removable. You can't say the same is true with casts. I did have a cast after my visit to the County. I guess if I had my druthers, I'd choose the boot over a cast no matter what the situation was.

So, at this point, I'm a little over a month removed from surgery. I take the boot off several times a day to move the foot up and down, which is what the doctor directed me to do. What I've started doing on my own is try to leave the boot off for an hour or so. Then, I sit wiggling my toes, trying to help the circulation in the foot (which is a bit swollen and stiff—yeah, that's what he said!!!). As for the ankle movement, it seems minute to me. I'm told, however, that it's gotten better each day.

I'm not sure that I'll be back in the water six weeks after surgery. The doctor was shooting for that. I don't think my joints are ready; I've lost too much muscle tone at this point. I need to rebuild the muscle that protects the bionic knee and the muscle that helps to stabilize the ankle. I'm not completely certain this can all be done by a few weeks from now. Then again, it's always nice to have a goal.

The ankle is feeling good at this point. It's stiff and there is pain if it moves the wrong way. I nonetheless feel like things are going well and I'll be back in the water before summer.

5 Comments:

At 2/26/12, 12:31 AM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

Great news. I agree, don't be in a hurry......be nice to yourself and give it time to heal.

 
At 2/26/12, 6:59 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

The waves will be there when you are ready. In the mean time at least you have excellent reading material! ;)

 
At 2/26/12, 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to the pool. The best rehab ever. No pressure on the body but plenty of muscle resistance.No need to swim just move the body parts that are weak.And the best thing is, you are in the water.

 
At 2/26/12, 1:38 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Yep. I've already got that lines up. Alas, I'm still on the crutches, not allowed to walk. But as soon as I can, I'm in the pool!

 
At 2/27/12, 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a foot fetish. there i said it! :)

keep on girl!

lsoro

 

Post a Comment

<< Home