31 January 2012

"People are Going to Think You Weren't Born, You Were Embroidered!"

Ah, yes. Well, this is the kind of comment you get when you are as scarred up as I am from surgeries. My left knee has three small scars from arthroscopic surgery and three massive scars from knee reconstruction and knee replacement, respectively. Now I'll be adding ankle scars to the mix, thus the comment about me being embroidered.

How many Vans shoes or Vans-related items do you see in this picture?

The ankle? It's still there. I'm not allowed to put any weight on it. I spend much of my day sitting in this chair with my feet up. Crutches aren't much fun in terms of getting around. It's safer and easier to sit quietly for the time being. However, doing so has its limitations. The doctor said I can return to work. I tried to go back this week, but my job told me to take another week. Today, I sent them an email practically begging them to take me back. If I'm going to just sit around all day, I might as well be getting paid for it. And working will make me less lethargic. I won't be concentrating on the fact that I've got a three ton boot on my foot or on the fact that crutches are of the Devil. I'll be at work concentrating on the tasks at hand.

I think the doctor said something about me starting to put weight on the ankle after the second week. That scares me more than the crutches do. I suppose he will say more about this when I see him next week.

Go left, people. Go left a lot. If you go right, make your next wave a left. Just remember, broken goofy foot surfers need to know that the lefts aren't going unridden. Lefts need love too! Remember I said that.

6 Comments:

At 2/1/12, 4:34 AM, Blogger pabs said...

I'm liken the color-coordinated toe nails/laces, nice touch.

Let's see...shoes, shoe box, toe nail polish, and the set of full size bongos...all of them "Van-related"? :-)

Glad to hear that u are on the mend...speedy recovery Surfsista!

 
At 2/1/12, 5:36 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Yep. There's my one shoe. Then there's the heel of my son's shoe. And there's the box of new schools shoes for him on the messy couch. You win, Pabs.

The nail polish matching the laces was purely accidental. I painted the toes on my right foot with a metallic pink/magenta. I never have matching toes. Usually, I paint different colors on the same foot, but that was too difficult given the state of this ankle (as I did this before the cast and before this boot).

 
At 2/1/12, 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooooooo metallic piiiiiiiink? my favorite!

keep gettin better. wait, i didnt think you could get any better.

lsoro

 
At 2/1/12, 7:29 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

Surf Sista, please don't mention the lefts! They are the last secret waves on the coast. Many people don't even know there are lefts and the local goofyfoots can be a rough crowd when crossed. So try and keep it on the QT. Thanks and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

 
At 2/3/12, 6:16 AM, Blogger Steve and Cher Pendo said...

Lejos for you on the QT as Prana said. . .
We're sending you healing thoughts and love!

 
At 2/3/12, 12:35 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

I LIVE FOR LEFTS! Every left I take till you get back in the water will be in your name.... and I was gonna mention the matching shoe laces and nail polish too. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home