10 February 2012

What Do Scars Say About a Person?

This question pops into my head each day as I ponder the new additions to my scar collection. I've got minor road rash scars from skateboarding as a kid. Those were bested by the couple of major road rash scars I collected from years of serious road cycling. Those scars pale in comparison to this bionic knee of mine, the one that's gone through arthroscopy, reconstruction and, eventually, replacement. That knee has some stories to tell!! I suppose much of my life could be narrated by the scars on that knee. And they are sexy scars too . . . not!!

Sitting quietly, watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, while the child and
his friend run wild at Mulligan's


Now I'll have two more scars for my quiver. I swear, this left leg of mine is the one that tells the tale. What tale? Well, I think the first permanent scar came from a skateboarding fall at 12 or 13. The most recent scar will come from a snapped ankle at 48.

And what do they say about me? I'm not sure really. I know that when I'm old and tired and ready to sit quietly, I'll tell one and all that the scars give me bragging rights—about surfing, skating, cycling and an athletic life well-lived.

I'm more than ready to bring the scar collecting to an end. The collection is, for all intents and purposes, complete. If anyone else would like a turn at collecting scars, feel free. This is not a competition. And if it is, I'd like to come in last!

3 Comments:

At 2/10/12, 6:07 PM, Blogger Bill said...

I hear that scar sista

 
At 2/10/12, 6:41 PM, Blogger Steve and Cher Pendo said...

A life well lived, that's what they say.
Love and Aloha to you, Cher and Steve

 
At 2/11/12, 11:08 AM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

It means You are not afraid to Live Life to the fullest! Scars show character and usually have a great story behind them! But yeah.. sometimes enough is enough! ;-)..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home