21 March 2007

Surf Vacation

No, I'm not going on one, at least not any time soon. I did, however, start looking into one. I know which part of the world I want to visit. I still don't know how to get the most bang for my buck. In fact, why am I even talking about this? I don't have any money. Do you see what happens when you get a full-time job in a cubicle? A little steady money and you're ready to act like a Rockefeller. With that said, I'm thinking a year or two down the road I may be able to swing an honest to goodness vacation. See, this is not a vacation family. The three of us lack that thing they call "disposable income". I'm assuming that can change, right? I'm all for renting a Mini Winnie, packing it with us, food, and surfboards, and driving up and down the coast. For us, that would be a vacation. And while I don't like airplanes or serious traveling, I want Soul Brother #2 to see other parts of the world while we can safely do that. Where do I want to go? The Caribbean. Are the waves big? No, but there are waves. Is the weather warm? Yes. Is the food good? Yes. Is the population diverse? Yes and no. But I think it behooves American blacks to travel to places where black folks are everywhere doing everything. Most of us didn't see that growing up. I would love for the little man to see it. And, hell, I want to go surfing somewhere off the beaten path, somewhere that isn't at the top of everyone's list for surf travel. Maybe it'll never happen. Maybe it will. Who knows? I figure it doesn't hurt to start thinking about it in an effort to make it come to fruition.

7 Comments:

At 3/22/07, 12:47 PM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

so I guess North Carolina is out

 
At 3/22/07, 2:19 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

Just don't go to Martinique. The food was mediocre (WTF? I picked it cuz it was French!) and I never saw a decent wave the whole time.

 
At 3/22/07, 6:18 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I was thinking Barbados. Martinique? I didn't even know they thought they had waves there.

North Carolina is not out of the question for me. But I think Soul Brother #1 dislikes the idea of going to (insert dramatic music here) THE SOUTH (sounds of people screaming in horror and running away). I, on the other hand, would at least like to see it before I scream and run away.

 
At 3/22/07, 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about this:
Google: Vintage Surfari Wagons
Cowabunga!
Wetwillie

 
At 3/22/07, 11:18 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Puerto Rico for a few days
(nice surf)
then
Jamaica...so ROCKS i mean R O C K S

surf on

 
At 3/22/07, 11:20 PM, Blogger Bill said...

p.s.

Surf last night was REALLY good...
consider DP (conditions pending)

 
At 3/23/07, 6:56 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Anon, that's kind of what I was thinking of doing to that bus in the pictures, except I don't care about the sink and fridge. Thanks for hipping me to that site. I may do one of those vacations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home