27 September 2005

New Job—Day One

Somehow, I made it through the day without even thinking about the beach or surfing. That won't last long. I'll have a good session the next time I'm in the water and then spend the next four days pouting . . . maybe. I went out on Sunday. Didn't write about it. There was nothing to say. My break was closed out. I got wet anyway. As a result, I only had three or four rides. All I ever had time to do was pop-up, do a bottom turn, and then get hit by the wave. I think I spent the majority of the session paddling for closeouts and being pitched face first into the ocean. Fun it wasn't. But I thought I should get in one more time before my time was no longer my own. I don't know when I'll get wet again. It's not a priority yet. I'm sure that my first really bad day at this job will make me consider calling in sick (as in sick of not surfing). Frankly, this job feels like a good fit. Nice things were said to me and about me today. Someone made it known that management has high expectations of me. I made it known that they should and that those expectations will probably be exceeded. That's not me being cocky. That's me being driven. I'll give more attention to surfing once I learn the ropes here and feel more comfortable. I don't expect it to take too long. Once I get up to speed, I'll work on making time to surf. And if my husband ends up playing Mr. Mom (due to layoffs at his job), I'll try to get in a couple of post-dawn patrol sessions each week.

1 Comments:

At 9/28/05, 6:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The new job will be a piece of cake for you! You'll find time to surf.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home