22 September 2005

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Many, many changes. So many changes that I hardly know what to write about. I guess I'll start with today's session at RPB. I knew I'd get there at the tail end of low tide, but I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to surfing. I thought I might score some waves. And did I? Oh, yes!!! Once again, I was out in the water as the tide changed. RPB is a low tide spot that normally shuts down with a vengeance at high tide. I figured I'd at least catch the last hour of low tide and be happy with that. I was happy with that. I was also happy with the first hour of high tide. The ocean was dropping bombs . . . and they successfully made it through at high tide!!! And nobody was there!!!!! Okay, it wasn't an epic day. The shoulders were few and far between. But at a break with a mushy wave, even the closeouts offer fun rides. Since there were no shoulders, I went left on a lot of the waves. (See, RPB goes right 98% of the time. You won't see many lefts there.) All you saw approaching you was a straight line, at least from where I was sitting. So I had a ball. The coolest thing I did today was after a ride. I know I keep talking about ending rides by climbing back up to the tops of waves and exiting out the back. Well, today's closeouts made that move somewhat hard. I forced the issue after one ride. But instead of easily going off the back of the wave, I was literally catapulted about five feet into the air. I'm sure I was grinning from ear to ear when I hit the water. That's the closest I've ever come to flying and I loved every second of it. I'll be back there tomorrow. In fact, it may be my last weekday in the water for awhile.

Changes. David Bowie. Memorable song—not that I'm old enough to remember it when it came out. Anyway, I start a new job on Tuesday. More money. Full-time. More money. Benefits. More money. Paid vacation. More money. Less time for surfing. More money. Less time at home. More money. Regular hours. More money. Do you see a pattern? At this point, it's all about the Benjamins. It's got to be. Surfing can be put on the back burner for now. Will the blog survive? That remains to be seen. If I'm not surfing much, no, the blog won't survive. If I'm still able to surf about three days a week, then yes, I'll keep going. I won't know until I start the job. I will, however, be out in the water tomorrow. There should still be a little something out there before this latest swell loses steam. If any good swells are on the way after tomorrow, I don't want to know about them!

5 Comments:

At 9/23/05, 2:02 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Oh my god! You're right. I'm going to quit right now!!!

I swear to you this job threw itself at me. Finally, I applied for the job, got interviewed immediately (while I was wearing jeans!!), and was hired on the spot. I won't write a job blog though. I don't think I'd find that as interesting as surfing. I think, though, this blog will live. I'll have some time to get in the water.

 
At 9/23/05, 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the transition I made a few years ago. After spending close to seven years with arguably the most stress-free and enjoyable job ever (working as an Education Staff supervisor at Sea World; outside all the time, with varying schedules that let me surf hassle-free seven days a week), I did the same thing. Funny thing is that a lot of the people I worked with are still at SeaWorld, and they're miserable - stuck in low-paying jobs with no transferable skills.

 
At 9/23/05, 8:31 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I feel like it's time to move ahead and move on. I'll still surf. But now I'm looking at the big picture. I want to do work that I enjoy and work that excites me. I also, believe it or not, want to get paid well when I do a good job. Then, I want to get paid even more when I do an excellent job. So why would anyone with that attitude continue to teach?

 
At 9/24/05, 5:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Boy, I don't know what went wrong with my typing on the last comment attempt, it should read...
Congratulations on the new job, I hope it works out the way you hope. However, please say it ain't so regarding the blog! Please keep it going.

 
At 9/25/05, 7:33 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Thanks, Puttzle. I'm going to try to keep surfing and writing. All I really want right now is the ability to pay the bills . . . all of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home