21 April 2005

To Contest or Not to Contest? (Part Deux)

All of you know me too well! Whiffleboy picked up on the fact that I'm my own best competition. I've always been one to push myself just for the hell of it. I walk the longboard because it's a challenge. Since I'm a person who bores easily, I look for things in life that challenge me. I gave up cycling for two reasons: I'd grown to hate it and I knew I could not progress any further without taking performance-enhancing drugs (thus, the challenging aspect of cycling was no longer there for me). The rest of you seemed to recognize that I truly love surfing for surfing. My problem, obviously, is the fact that I love a challenge. I see that contest as a challenge, but I also see it as a potential disaster. I did get a wake-up call when you guys mentioned that I'd only be out there for 15 to 20 minutes. What? Who can do anything in that amount of time, especially on a day when the surf is crap? I'm still undecided about all of this. I know very little about astrology and signs, but people have told me the fact that I'm a Gemini explains why I sometimes struggle with decisions—my two sides are at war. Whatever. I'll figure it all out. I appreciate the input you've all given me though. That's why I made the original post. I wanted to hear what everyone else thought about this.

The surf today was mushy and weak. It was nothing worth talking about. However, the dolphins were everywhere. I've never seen so many dolphins in one session. They jumped. They frolicked. They even came closer to inspect us. I think I missed at least three good waves while I watched them do their thing. I tell people who don't surf that it's these kinds of experiences that make surfing so different from other athletic activities. And if you're in a contest, you really don't have the time or the mindset to enjoy something like that.

Song I'm listening to as I type this blog entry: "I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home" by Grand Funk Railroad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home