19 December 2011

Don't Mind Me—I'm Just Sitting Here Quietly, Not Saying a Word

Okay, I am saying a word or two here and there. But for the most part, I'm calling 2011. I'm done. Over it. Ready to move on, not looking back. I've got nothing more to say at this point of the year.

Usually, right around Christmas, I become anxious for the current year to be over. It really doesn't matter whether I've had a good year or a bad year. December usually sees me ready to move on. Because 2011 wasn't the best of years, I'm more than ready to ring in January with some expensive champagne and a smile.

As I've told Pranaglider and others, I'm just trying to get through the rest of 2011 without committing a felony!

No, I'm not kidding.

Instead of becoming one of the many overly aggressive assholes who lose their minds at this time of the year, I choose instead to simply remain quiet. I don't spend much money because I don't have much money. Therefore, I don't run around trying to buy gifts for everyone I know. I can't do it, so I don't worry about it. The kid is covered. Everyone else gets a hug. (Granted, I'm a hugger by nature; I hug people all the time. Still, my hugs are genuine and freely given.)

The waves of 2011 were fine by me. I realize that we've had years when the waves were much better. I don't judge waves in that way though. As long as there is something I can surf, either on a board or on a mat, I'm satisfied. 2011, then, was as fine a surf year as any other.

I'm looking ahead to 2012 now.

Surfing.

Matting.

Skating.

Drumming.

Writing.

I have little interest in Christmas. I find the requisite amount of cheer to keep the child happy, and I doubt that I've succeeded in even doing that this year.

(Deep breath)

I do believe 2011 will be better.

4 Comments:

At 12/20/11, 1:18 AM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

You and me both!!! I have had a really crap year.....and am also impatient for a new one. I get jittery around this time - bad childhood memories of Christmas that just won't leave me alone, no matter how old I get. RamSnake & I don't really do Christmas either - it's an insane time and like you, I just try and keep my head down and wait until it's over!

So, have a good one - and let's hope 2012 IS a better year. Peace and goodwill and all that jazz. XXOO

 
At 12/20/11, 6:26 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

We are of one mind on this. The waves were good I got my share but the wind has started to come up and it's time to paddle in, sit on the beach and watch the fireworks. happy 2012!

 
At 12/20/11, 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're best post ever! i want one of those hugs ;)

when it comes to christmas i am really close to puritanism. they didnt celebrate a "special"day but, believed every week we celebrate the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus. sorry to take my errr "religion" to your site but, its who i am. so if it affends, excuse me. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

LSORO

 
At 12/20/11, 6:34 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I'm buying a drumkit and I'm taking lessons in 2012. If that doesn't help make that year better than this one, nothing will. As always, I will be drumming badly and yelling, "More cowbell!!!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home