04 December 2011

Making the Best of a Closed Out Situation

First, surf mats rule. In case you didn't know that, I thought I'd repeat it. When the conditions are obviously less than satisfactory, I can get on the mat and thoroughly enjoy myself, if only for a short time.

As you can see, the wave is both small and closed out. That's always a joy. (sigh) Not really. But there are times when I insist on getting wet regardless of the conditions. This was one of them. And I had the presence of mind to take a mat and a board. The thing about the mat is that when the conditions stink, you know you're still going to enjoy yourself. I'm not sure why that is. When you're on a board in those same conditions, it's often difficult to find the fun in the situation. I suppose this is one of the reasons why it would behoove watermen and waterwomen to have mats in their quivers. I'm at the point, now, where I can't imagine life without a surf mat.

I'm still not 100%, but I'm getting there. As I sit here typing, one ear is kind of closed up. There's no dizziness connected with it though. I think it's the the bug, or whatever virus/infection/plague I caught, putting up one last fight to hang on. It's too late though. The grapefruit seed extract already got down to business days ago.

I love pelicans.

They make me smile.

As do waves with shape. And hickory smoke-flavored pistachio nuts. And custom wetsuits. And the big red beast of a station wagon parked outside.

I'm now waiting for a call, hoping my friend will say The Place Which Shall Remain Nameless is breaking. That is my winter spot. Judging from the water temperature, it's now winter!

Pray for surf!

1 Comments:

At 12/4/11, 5:30 PM, Blogger Growling Gecko said...

I love pelicans too and hope that I may have the opportunity to come back as one in the next life if don't quite nail nirvana this time round!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home