19 September 2011

4th Annual Cosmic Stinkbug Expression Session

This is such a wonderful event. It's fun, yes, but it's for charity. The cool thing is that the money raised is anonymously given to a family in need, one that is dealing with cancer. The money that is raised is literally handed to an unknowing family that has been chosen ahead of time. The family chosen this year is one where the dad has late stage cancer. The mom is working her butt off to keep it all together financially and emotionally. I think the kids are in high school. What I was told was that after all was said and done, someone would go to their home and present them with the money, not telling them exactly who it was from. Those making the delivery were given a fictional name to use if they were asked about the money. In fact, it is the kids from last year's family who are going to make the delivery. The folks who run this event don't want any attention. They don't expect any appreciation. They simply want to help and move on.

I hadn't known all of these details before I traveled north for the event. I almost didn't go, mainly because my cash is tight right now. But I knew the organizer really wanted me to come, and he wanted me there on my mat. As much as I wanted to stay home, something was telling me I needed to go to this. Obviously, I'm glad I went, especially after I heard the backstory. And the pictures don't even begin to show the hilarity of it all!





8 Comments:

At 9/19/11, 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmm. whats the story. he dropped in on, they dropped in on, we all dropped in, i/we really wanna donkey pic? but the real question is whos the cute girl all dressed in rubber? hahahhaha looks fun?

 
At 9/19/11, 6:44 AM, Blogger pabs said...

Looks like fun...I see you got yourself a couple of longboards to run blocking for ya! ;-)

 
At 9/19/11, 7:05 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

the surf community at it's best.

 
At 9/19/11, 7:07 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I totally dropped in on people when I took my waves. This was a free for all. The only way I was going to get a wave was to just huck myself in the middle of the madness. So I did!!

 
At 9/19/11, 11:08 AM, Blogger Steve and Cher Pendo said...

Love your post . . . stoked you all had fun and helped such a worthy cause. We agree with prana, too! Aloha, Cher and Steve

 
At 9/20/11, 4:01 AM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

That's just awesome....after a bit of a rough day at work that story cheered me up. It's great to hear about people being so generous, and great that you supported it.

 
At 9/21/11, 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The founder is an amazing person and always thinks about others first. This "expression session" is only the tip of the iceburg of what this man has to offer to the world. I love you...

 
At 9/21/11, 5:22 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I love you too, Anonymous. I have the founder to thank for the best mat wave I've ever ridden. He's the one who, when I was at the Rincon Invitational earlier in the year, told me to ride my mat. And I had a most amazing session. Aside from that, he's a wonderful man and I'm glad to know him. And with that, I love you too, Anonymous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home