16 September 2011

"You Look Like My Third Wife . . . and I've Only Been Married Twice"

This is what a man said to me as I was quickly throwing on my fins. He was working hard to get my attention. I, on the other hand, was racing to make it out to the lineup before being spotted by the lifeguard.

It was a race I would not win.

I heard his voice over his truck's loudspeaker before I'd even gotten my hair wet. You pick your battles. This was one in which I was certain to go down in defeat, ignominiously forced out of the water and made to stand in the corner with the "Dunce" cap.

So I turned around, took a small wave and got right back out.

I expected a lecture. I did not receive one. Instead, it was suggested that I take my mat up the beach a way. The lifeguard tower there was empty.

I did not argue. Instead, I gave him the answer the first guy probably wanted to hear from me.

"I love you."

And off I went. North. Where the lifeguards weren't.

8 Comments:

At 9/16/11, 7:42 PM, Blogger harmless neighborhood eccentric said...

outstanding story. bueno!

 
At 9/16/11, 8:06 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Everything I wrote is true too. LOL!

 
At 9/16/11, 9:00 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Accidentally deleted this comment from Steiny! Dammit! No more beer before reading emails:

well, its nice to be appreciated.
ride a wave at leo carillo tomorrow- paul will be there tandeming

 
At 9/16/11, 9:01 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I'll be at the skatepark tomorrow. Wish Paul luck for me!

 
At 9/17/11, 7:07 AM, Blogger yo said...

the first kook has to wait in line!

 
At 9/17/11, 7:23 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

LOLOLOLOL!!!

 
At 9/18/11, 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, what? Mats are outlawed?

 
At 9/18/11, 7:00 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

It kind of depends on where you are and how the lifeguards are feeling. I knew this session probably would be cut short by the lifeguards because this break is notoriously crowded. It gets ugly there. But there were only four people in the water when I tried to paddle out, so I figured it was worth a shot. At other breaks, the lifeguards generally leave mats alone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home