17 January 2011

Seriously, Thalia Surf Shop?

"All black products"? "MLK Sale"? You mean to tell me there wasn't one person who had the sense to just say no to stupid shit like this?

(Shaking my head and moving on)

WE INTERRUPT OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING FOR THIS BREAKING NEWS!

‘Respect’ Image Apology

January 18, 2011

Yesterday we at Thalia Surf sent out a newsletter announcing our MLK Day Sale. In no way did we intend to hurt or offend anyone. For those that took offense or disrepect we truly are sorry. We took down the ad for our sale to hopefully calm the waters and in the future will be more careful in our selection of promotions. We appreciate the support from customers and patrons of Thalia Surf that know us and know that we meant no harm. Thanks.

Nick Cocores
Owner, Thalia Surf

Uh . . . hmmm. Well, my gripe is still that someone should have had enough sense to realize the ad was in bad taste in the first place. Whatever. Leave the past in the past. That was yesterday. As I said then, I've moved on.

14 Comments:

At 1/17/11, 9:22 PM, Blogger harmless neighborhood eccentric said...

no, really? you'd think people were raised better than that.

 
At 1/17/11, 9:47 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

I know this term was banned at the end of 2010, but FAIL. They should be ashamed.

 
At 1/17/11, 9:51 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

Seems they've pulled it, good on you for busting them.

 
At 1/17/11, 10:05 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I didn't bust them. The OC Weekly blog did: http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2011/01/surf_shop_celebrates_mlk_day_w.php. One of my friends sent the ad to me to see what I thought about it.

 
At 1/17/11, 10:19 PM, Anonymous Val said...

WTF? A new low in bad taste!

 
At 1/17/11, 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick is a douche bag. This doesn't surprise me at all. He failed to follow through with a business transaction he agreed to. I'm embarrassed to have supported him back in 2005. Karma sucka!!!!

 
At 1/18/11, 2:50 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

I don't shop there anyway..and NEVER WILL!
& GOOD job OC Weekly Blog!

 
At 1/18/11, 8:41 PM, Blogger Apryl DeLancey said...

They made the news: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=7906292&cmp=twi-kabc-article-7906292

 
At 1/20/11, 9:04 AM, Anonymous Josh Aggars said...

Yeah I was pretty peeved by it myself and posted on it the other day. My UK audience were a bit nonplussed that anyone would be such an idiot full stop let alone on a day celebrating the great Martin Luther King. So you guys are close enough to actually know this douche store?

 
At 1/20/11, 9:40 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I've never been to the store. It's down south a bit. Actually, I think it was just a strange ad. Period. I wasn't insulted nor did I find it racist. It was just stupid.

 
At 1/20/11, 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know him. He must have inherited money to start Thalia. He is way too terrible of a business person to have started that shit on his own. A straight liar. Best of luck to those that deal with him.

 
At 1/25/11, 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that Thalia has apologized to the public for this lame promotion, they should now apologize to the shaper(s) they've stiffed. My shaper had to pull his boards for non-payment...when you make a deal keep it.

 
At 2/3/11, 11:48 PM, Blogger sal paradise said...

I think that ad was hilarious. I'm pretty sure the only people who found it 'offensive' were white people.

 
At 2/4/11, 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact you posted this means you have not moved on.
Lighten up people.
Many personal issues on here for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home