29 November 2010

Mama's New Ride

Yeah, I know I was trying to get a VW bus restored. I finally threw in the towel with that thing. For a variety of reasons, I lost my enthusiasm for that vehicle. I still have it, but I will be putting it up for sale soon. I gave it an almost valiant effort though. The VW has a new engine and a new carburetor. Had I been able to maintain a head of steam with respect to its restoration, I'd probably still be enamored of it. However, life got in the way of my plans for the VW—cancer scares, lost jobs and a great deal of angst. I simply didn't have it in me to go any further. I think, at this point, the VW is representative of all of the bad things that happened to our family in one fell swoop. I can no longer be bothered to labor over a car in an effort to bring it back to its former luster, both inside and out.

I've always loved old cars. Prior to the birth of my child, I went to every classic car show I could find. I always said I would have an old car at some point in my life. My first (failed) attempt was with the VW. My next attempt is with this Ford station wagon that the original owner painted red. Yep, she painted everything red, including the panels. When I was a kid, you could not have told me I'd grow up to have such an affinity for station wagons. I thought them ugly and uncool. Well, they still may be uncool, but I love everything about them. This one and I found each other. I didn't even have to negotiate price with the seller. Each time I spoke to him, the price came down a little more without me even asking. He just wanted to sell it and get some cash. I just wanted a station wagon . . . even if it was one that never should have seen a speck of red paint.

I guess I will paint it eventually. There's no rush. This thing runs well for a car that's two years younger than I am. And it's a station wagon!! I'm in love!!!!

18 Comments:

At 11/29/10, 8:20 PM, Blogger Craig Wallace said...

That is a beauty, you need to name it. A friend of mine had White VW Van we called "Pearl". I had an old Toyota truck with a utility body and pipe rack, I called it "White Lighting" it was white and was slow....

The Red?

 
At 11/29/10, 9:39 PM, Blogger SlowPolk said...

I love station wagons too - if they come with twin turbo and are made by audi.

Very cool car! Can not wait to ride in it.

 
At 11/29/10, 9:44 PM, Anonymous Kristen said...

Sweet!!!!!! I drive a 1969 VW Bus and love it more than I could ever love any new car. It's funny though, when I rent a car or drive something that was made in this decade for any length of time, I feel like I am literally stepping back in time when I get into the bus. Then I get used to it again and it becomes my reality again :) What a sweet ride this is! I love the wind wings. I have no idea why they stopped putting something as functional as a wind wing on cars. Oh, I guess that was when they started making them with ac's! hahahahaha still, I am a big fan of the wind wing!

-Kristen

 
At 11/30/10, 3:43 AM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

Great car. I have had 2 VW vans, one white and one red and loved them to bits. I would still have one if my wonderful VW mechanic hadn't advised me to give the last one up because it was just getting too hard to keep them on the road, not enough workable parts left he said. I think it's important to give things up when they are getting too tough sometimes.

 
At 11/30/10, 5:44 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I'm not sure what to name this car. I'm not even sure if it's male or female. Suggestions?

 
At 11/30/10, 6:24 AM, Blogger SlowPolk said...

red wagon = radio flyer

 
At 11/30/10, 8:38 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

Great surf car!
Think of how many mats you could get in the back of that!!!

 
At 11/30/10, 1:52 PM, Blogger Growling Gecko said...

Well, Bluey of course . That is what we call people with red hair here in Oz!

 
At 11/30/10, 9:11 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

It's Ginger.

Fuck!!! They painted the fake wood! You've gotta get that taken care of right away.

 
At 11/30/10, 9:12 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

oh and yeah, that bus was (is) bad luck. will be good for someone else.

 
At 12/1/10, 1:08 AM, Blogger Paul Gross said...

Whatever vehicle that might hit you (save for a Hummer) will bounce right off...and anything you hit will be instantly destroyed!!! You can't put a price on that kind of authority!

As far as a potential mat count, I'd put it around a couple of thousand...

 
At 12/1/10, 1:35 AM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

What about Ruby?

 
At 12/1/10, 5:45 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

PG, what you've said is one of the reasons why I decided not to keep the VW bus. I feel like the kid is much safer in some rolling good old American steel. Then again, the back seat has no belts so he's not that safe. Then again, since there are no airbags, he can ride in the front until I get some seatbelts put in the back.

 
At 12/1/10, 8:31 AM, Blogger pabs said...

Awww...I was highly anticipating the "r" rated rant version (Screw the VW Bus!!) that was visible only on my dashboard page. But when I click to see the remaining glory of your vicious attack upon all things VW, I was left with a void of deletion! Anyways, you made the right choice...nice ride. :-)

 
At 12/1/10, 9:50 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Pabs, I published that post to the wrong blog. That was for a private blog that a few of us surfers share. Anyway, there was no anti-VW rant. I just knew they'd be asking what happened to the bus since they all remember when I first got it. I actually still love VWs, but I'd prefer to have my child in something more sturdy anyway.

 
At 12/1/10, 8:05 PM, Blogger P.O.P. Surfer said...

Well, the kids are thinking a few names were appropriate.
1) Cherry Bomb
2) Tomato Sauce
3) Butt

Ahh, the rantings of children.

 
At 12/2/10, 6:07 PM, Anonymous Soul Arch Matt said...

How about naming the car Morgan. You see, The Shawshank Redemption in one of my all time favorite movies and Morgan Freeman played a character named Red. Red car...Morgan Freeman as Red...I think you get it but I do like Ginger.

 
At 12/2/10, 6:18 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I was thinking today that I would just refer to the car as "Big Red". It's a name that's not gender-specific and, well, it fits!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home