11 March 2010

Old Vans, New Board

Kickin' it old school! Vans. Big-assed D-fin. Don't bother to look for a leash plug, leash loop or anything else to which a leash can be attached. It's not there. You either kick out or swim. Period. Since I don't kick out well, I'll be swimming quite a bit, I think.

When I got the email from Dave telling me my board was ready, I was overly stoked and completely underwhelmed. Who isn't excited about picking up a new stick? Then again, who's excited about driving on the 405 . . . ever? I certainly am not. For reasons I don't understand though, the trip down to Newport and back was smooth; the traffic on the freeway never came to a stop. Amazing!!

As soon as I walked in and saw the board, I got giddy. Remember, I don't get giddy. I'm not one of those giddy kinds of chicks. I get happy. I get goofy. I get silly. Giddy? Not so much . . . unless I get a stunning new board.

As soon as the giddiness subsided, happiness ensued when Dave pointed out that the guys walking in the door behind him were Cam Oden and my boy Kyle Lightner. Kyle and I are fast friends . . . who'd never had a face-to-face conversation before today. Of course, we hit it off so well in person that it was difficult to leave. I could talk to Kyle all day. He's a smart, talented guy with a wonderful wit. Getting a chance to hang with him for a bit was worth the drive down and back. So, picking up a board and chatting with Kyle made for a nice little day trip.

Oh, yeah. I'm supposed to be unveiling the new board. She's a pig! If you don't know what I mean by that, do your research! I'm certainly not talking about her looks. I'm talking about her shape. If you think she looks good in pictures, you should see her in person. She's quite the looker. When I ordered this board, Dave asked about the color scheme. I knew I wanted aquamarine and black. I just wasn't sure how I wanted those colors to exist on this board. After a few emails back and forth, we settled on this: a black nose with a black stripe a few inches under the nose. Dave, you killed it. Killed it, I tell you!! Thanks!


11 Comments:

At 3/11/10, 9:30 PM, Anonymous Glenn said...

Woo hoo! Love that board – a real looker!

 
At 3/12/10, 4:24 AM, Blogger Wheardo said...

Looks sweet. I'm in the same boat, new board on order. I don't do giddy either but I'm very much hoping for the same reaction when mine's ready.
It's a beaut, enjoy!

 
At 3/12/10, 7:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

tasty! I'm sorry you've had to wait so long to get a pig, if you know what I mean ;-)

 
At 3/12/10, 7:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

and we need more pics!

 
At 3/12/10, 11:24 AM, Blogger pabs said...

Sweet looking spooned nose...perfect for hanging some ten! :-)

 
At 3/12/10, 11:29 AM, Blogger johnB said...

Hey sweet lookin board. Got a piggy in the pipeline myself. WhoWhoooo

 
At 3/13/10, 2:32 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

that board is nice, but not as nice as those cords!

 
At 3/13/10, 2:34 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Can't a sister rock some cords? They are the first pair of cords I've had since probably the 1970's. And I actually like them.

 
At 3/14/10, 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet board..wats the dimensions of that pig?

 
At 3/14/10, 3:50 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

It's a 9'2" or a 9'3" and 22 inches wide. It's not terribly heavy either. That's perfect. I used to have a big honking Tyler that was so hard to carry. It was a great board, but that thing was going to be the death of me trying to get it to and from the water.

 
At 3/15/10, 12:36 AM, Anonymous Val said...

BURGUNDY CORDS are da bomb!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home