27 March 2009

Oh Yes, Bionic I Will Be


I'm going to continue surfing unless and until the pain is so great that I'm forced to stop. The day after I saw the orthopedist, the cortisone injection was working like a charm. I say this in all honesty: Drugs are a wonderful thing.

I surfed yesterday at an uncrowded, virtually empty break that delivered small, playful waves. Not my best day on a board, but it was good enough for me. My mind was racing the entire session.

Will the new knee be a decent facsimile of the old knee? How much will this all hurt (given the fact that they will be cutting into and removing part of the bone)? Will the surgery kill me (and I normally wouldn't worry about that but Matt's death makes this a realistic concern)? How long will I be out of the water? How will the new knee effect my ability to pop-up quickly in bigger waves?

As far as I'm concerned, this is a done deal. It must be done. Let's do it now and get it over with. I'll see the doctor in a couple of weeks and break it down. My goal is to have the surgery done by the end of April. I will miss the summer months of surfing in L.A. That is more than fine. It's much too crowded here during the summer. Perhaps, if all goes well, I can begin to make forays into the water by the fall.

4 Comments:

At 3/27/09, 8:50 AM, Blogger Worm said...

i was reading about knee replacement and rehab and how long it takes before most people go surfing. It seems as though you could very easily be surfing by the fall if you get it done in the spring. now (being april) is a much better time since it's the warm season and you'll be less achy from the cold.
Plus you are in fantastic shape to start with which will help you out heaps during rehab.
it took me 1.5 months with an almost completely torn MCL to get back in the water and i'm sure you could do something respectively as quick with your injury.


are you going to oceanside on sunday? shelter is having a party this saturday. it'd be swell if you could come by ; i'll be there all day

 
At 3/27/09, 10:38 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I want to go to Oceanside but I don't have a babysitter and have no one to watch Soul Brother #2 while I get in the water.

Saturday is busy, busy, but I might drag Soul Brother #2 down to Shelter after we leave the birthday party he's slated to attend. I need as much stoke as I can get before I get this done.

 
At 3/27/09, 11:30 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

Surfsister, My dad has had both his knees replaced. Your knees will be in better shape than they are now. No more bones rubbing bone to bone. You are young and in good shape to start with so it should be a breeze! Good luck

 
At 4/7/09, 11:43 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Yeah I know people too who had knee replacement surgery and are doing fine, running a lot, surfing a lot...just let the surgery heal and then don't be afraid to use it! I think that is a mistake some people make. The surgery is to make you better, not worse!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home