01 February 2008

County's Response About Ballona Creek Inquiry

Here's what I wrote:

I'm writing to you to inquire about the trash that has collected along Ballona Creek since the most recent rains. I wrote to the Department of Beaches and Harbors about this issue. Someone there directed me to Public Works. As of January 30, the shores of Ballona Creek were truly filthy. I took pictures (which I'm certain your department does not need) to document the extent of the problem. My question is not meant to be angry or accusatory. I was simply wondering if the County is planning to clean up the creek. And how does such a clean up occur? The amount of trash on the banks of the creek was astounding. I saw a man collecting plastic bottles for recycling . . . and he was able to fill up a large plastic trash bag. And there was still an unbelievable amount of trash left. Thank you, Public Works, for all of the good you do in the County. I am aware that this department does many things that help L.A.'s citizens.

This is the response:

I appreciate your concern over the condition of Ballona Creek. Yes, the recent large storms have left a considerable amount of trash deposited along the banks. After each storm we have staff that collect the accumulated trash. We also maintain a floating boom in the channel immediately downstream of Lincoln Blvd to capture trash that flows down the channel. This boom was damaged during the storm of early January and was under repair. Therefore more trash than usual was deposited along the banks of Ballona creek during last week’s storms. The boom will be reinstalled this coming week. We will have crews out along the channel this weekend to collect the trash.

Again, thank you for your interest in the condition of Ballona Creek. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Gary Hildebrand
Area Engineer, South Area
Flood Maintenance Division
Los Angeles County Dept of Public Works
562-861-0316
mailto:ghildeb@dpw.lacounty.gov


I finally got back in the water today. I think it's been two weeks since I last paddled out. There's not much to tell. I was on the wrong board. Nevertheless, I made a go of it. No booties. No hood. My hands suffer more than anything else. That's what armpits are for. Soul Brother #1 says he can often spot me in a crowd because I'm the one with my hands tucked firmly into my armpits. I certainly enjoy the empty breaks that winter brings, but I'll finally admit I'm ready for some warmer weather.

1 Comments:

At 2/2/08, 3:37 PM, Blogger MelondraBee said...

I'm glad they are aware of the problem. It was good of you to ask them what's up.

It has been chilly, hasn't it? I'm in gloves and booties these days. I've chosen warmth over self-respect. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home