29 January 2008

The Leftovers

Did it rain on Monday? I can't remember. All of these rainy days now run together in my brain. As far as I'm concerned, it's still too soon to get back in the water. I was back on the bike today, on yet another mission. I wanted to try and document the amount of trash that flows out into the ocean when it rains here in L.A. Mind you, I know it's been days since the last rain. My reasoning in doing this was simple: whatever trash I found was to be considered leftovers from the voluminous amount of trash that ran out of the storm drains over the last few weeks. I purposely rode down the Ballona Creek bike path, knowing that the creek was one of the best places to find what I was looking for. And what I found . . . was quite depressing.
I spotted that majestic bird sitting proudly amidst all of that trash. What I want to know is how, if at all, does the County of Los Angeles clean this up?
There was trash on both sides of the creek, as far as the eye could see. I wanted to believe this guy was doing his part to clean it up, but I knew better. I rode a little further south before turning around to head home. When I came back down the creek, I realized he was collecting plastic bottles. By that time, his bag was just about full!

Truly disgusting! Again, this is the leftover trash. I shudder to think of the amount that didn't wash up on shore.

The question of the day: how does this get cleaned up? Does the County get people out there to do it? Or will it sit there until some knight in shining armor (a.k.a. The Surfrider Foundation) makes the clean-up happen?

8 Comments:

At 1/30/08, 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It´s sad to see the disgusting attitude of some politicians... I guess everything´s right as long as their own gardens are clean. This careless attitude is beyong my ken.
MSC

 
At 1/30/08, 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sister...This should definitely be a topic for your next Zine article.
Awareness is #1, you are doing that with the blog and graphic pics, but why not expand your range?
The solution also starts with #1, by that I mean me & you. I'm sure we both recycle, etc.
It is not up to "others" and the mystic knight. Get active!
( to quote your blog)
The question of the day: how does this get cleaned up? Does the County get people out there to do it? Or will it sit there until some knight in shining armor (a.k.a. The Surfrider Foundation) makes the clean-up happen?

It's going to take a lot of hard work, and some creative solutions, but WE can do it! Surf on!

 
At 1/30/08, 10:06 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

I agree with Soul Surfer. You need to document this in your next Zine article. Also, I think that guy in your photo has got it right. At 5 cents a bottle and all those bottles? Shee-it we could make bank and buy ourselves some new surfboards!

 
At 1/30/08, 10:59 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

Hey, I just thought of this:

http://www.healthebay.org/volunteer/bert/default.asp

 
At 1/30/08, 11:18 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Thanks for chiming in everyone. Okay, I"m going to write about the Trestles issue this week and I'm going to do this Ballona Creek trash issue next week. I also sent an email to the County's Department of Beaches and Harbors to ask about this. In other words, we're all on the same page. If you have any other ideas, let me know.

 
At 1/30/08, 11:27 AM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

Sunday, I drove down Vista Del Mar from Porto and you could see the definitive line from where the clean water met the Ballona Creek runoff. Green to brown - just like that.

 
At 1/30/08, 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have spent the whole rest of this month cleaning it all up yourself and not tell anyone about it. :)

 
At 1/30/08, 6:14 PM, Blogger MelondraBee said...

What a mess. I get so bummed when I see all of that. I assume a very low opinion of humanity and what we're doing to the planet.

I'd be willing to volunteer my time if a clean-up is announced.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home