08 July 2007

Physically Undergunned

I was at my physical limit before I even hit the water today. Once again, I was back at the site of my last two sessions, the site of the infamous drift. Remember yesterday I spoke about a new rule? The rule that came into being because of Wednesday's session? The Thou shalt not drift so far down the coast as to necessitate a more than 10 minute walk back to your original entry point rule? That rule was all shot to hell within 30 minutes of paddling out. Once I got a decent left, I was much too tired to try and stay where I was let alone paddle back to where I started. That was the beginning of the end for me. It all went downhill from there. Have you ever found your cell phone with an almost dead battery? And you do a quick charge for the 30 or so minutes you have before spending the rest of the day away from your charger? And you're hoping and praying your phone stays charged for the rest of the day? And then you get (or make) one or two phone calls and before you know it the battery is dead? Well, that's kind of how my session went. I quickly ran out of steam—too tired to paddle for waves, too tired to fight the drift—once I got that left. In fact, I'm not even sure how many waves I got today. All I remember is being spent. However, I was too bull-headed to get my ass out of the water. By the time I arrived home, I was done. There was nothing in the tank. No reserve, no nothing. I can only hope that I will be stronger as a result of pushing my body past my comfort zone.

Coolest thing Gracefullee and I saw today: the dolphin show. The dolphins were everywhere! That in iteself was worth the paddle out.

4 Comments:

At 7/9/07, 4:00 PM, Blogger gracefullee said...

I am so sore today! I have no idea how you even managed to surf that drift two days in a row.

 
At 7/12/07, 12:08 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

the drift at HB is almost as bad as the drift at OBSF

 
At 7/13/07, 10:50 AM, Blogger twin said...

Sideshore rips are great....(eyes rolling)

Occasionally I'll up my meterage (swim) to compensate for the constant need to paddle to stay on the peak. Helps with the endurance....

 
At 7/13/07, 2:54 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

If it weren't for the swimming, I could not have handled three sessions there within the span of four days. I'm not a good swimmer by any means. However, my upper body is so strong that I can fake it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home