21 May 2007

A Good Day on a Tyler . . .

is better than a good day on the Slick. My poor Tyler sat unwaxed and unloved in the garage for the last few months. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. I thought about selling it, my logic being that it's much too heavy and way too much board for me as I start exploring my options in shorter boards. Soul Brother #1 even began to ask if I was ever going to surf it again. I'm sure he was thinking about the money spent on a board that was no longer a part of the working quiver. I eventually assured him the board would return to the water. I was merely waiting for the right conditions.

After seeing recent daily surf reports about the small surf, I decided it was time to take the Tyler back out. I applied the base coat bumps on Saturday night, knowing the Tyler was the only board I'd take with me to the beach on Sunday. When I got to the home break on Sunday, it was looking small out there and it wasn't crowded—a good day to leave the leash in the car. Frankly, I thought it was going to be tough to return to a log. That's a whole lot of board and, of late, I've been feeling like I was riding too much board, like I wanted to be on something smaller and faster. (Obviously, that's why I had one made.) Then, once I was in the water, I realized it was not, in fact, flat. There was a little something out there. It also got crowded. I kept envisioning myself losing the board, swimming until my arms fell off or tagging someone with it. Well, none of that happened. All I did yesterday was have fun. The board did everything I asked of it. I caught all kinds of waves. I let some go by because I was without a leash. I thought it better to be safe than sorry. Still, I only swam a couple of times.

That board is perfection! I cannot believe I ever doubted it. I realize now that I was doubting myself. The Tyler is back in the rotation. It won't be my primary longboard. However, I will start to surf it more, especially as summer approaches.

5 Comments:

At 5/22/07, 10:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sweet! Loving mine, too.

 
At 5/22/07, 1:48 PM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

I'm still laid up so no surfing for me yet...

Glad to hear someone had a good sech.

 
At 5/22/07, 4:44 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

never sell it - I can think of about 8 boards right off that I sold when I thought I had outgrown them and now wish I still owned - especially my first custom. So what about that new board, still no water time yet?

 
At 5/22/07, 4:58 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I haven't even waxed the new board since the reports kept saying it was flat everywhere. I figured I'd just give it more time to cure.

 
At 5/24/07, 2:20 PM, Blogger gracefullee said...

What'd I tell you! :) If you ever start thinking about selling it again, come to me first. I'll either buy it or I'll beat you until you say you won't sell it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home