16 May 2007

I Need Air!


That's what was going through my mind as I swam today during my lunch break. And let me tell you, it took some doing to get this done during a 45 minute break. One of my cronies at work recently took swim lessons (for what I guess would be considered intermediate swimmers). Well, one thing led to another. He and I found out there's a pool somewhat close to our job. Well, we got it into our heads that we should make an attempt to get wet, even if only for 15 minutes. Today was the day. Mind you, the pool is not close. It's about 10 minutes away. That's 20 minutes there and back and about 15 minutes of swimming, right? Well, we booked out five minutes early. Made it to the pool in good time, swam for about 20 minutes and then jumped on the freeway (which got us back to work in about five minutes).

I figure any time in the pool, even if it's a short period of time, is good for my surfing. I'd forgotten how much swimming can tax you. I'm in no shape to do hundreds of yards without stopping. However, I can swim comfortably. After a few lengths, I started to feel it: heart pounding, oxygen disappearing, all that good stuff. I give our little swim adventure two thumbs up.

I found another pool that's closer to the job. We're going to scope that one out tomorrow. If it looks promising, we might even get in. I'm going to try and swim a couple of times a week from here on in. It's a good way to while away the break time, which is wasted on someone like me (i.e., someone who eats little bits of food throughout the day and doesn't eat a big meal until I sit down with my men for dinner). It's also a good way to rid myself of this cubicle fat. I know I was leaner than this before I started this job. I'm one of the most disciplined people there. I workout. I eat sensibly. But I still seem to be turning to mush. I know that's from sitting behind a desk all day long. So the swimming is a welcome diversion and mush fighter.

The only downside? Going back into an air conditioned office with wet locks. That bites!

2 Comments:

At 5/16/07, 9:25 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

I've been eyeballing the pool at my Y every morning. I'd really like to get in there and swim underwater laps, but, even at 5:30am, it's crowded. Not sure if they'd even allow that.

I've thought about taking some lessons. I can swim, but, really never learned the proper technique and am not very good at all with the face-in-the-water-and-breathing thing. I know...go figure.

 
At 5/17/07, 2:56 PM, Blogger twin said...

Swimming always does a body & mind good. Keep it up...your surfing will thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home