08 May 2009

Truly Bionic

I went to outpatient physical therapy today . . . and survived. The first thing the therapist did was attack the scar tissue through massage. Then she worked on the quads, hamstrings and calf. Finally, she began stretching the hell out of whatever she could.

I'm told she went easy on me because this is the first session. (Gulp)

That's fine. Bring it, girl, bring it! The more she brings it, the better my recovery. This is a team effort. I chose this physical therapist because I'd heard she can be tough. Prior to the surgery, people advised me to find a physical therapist who would push me. Given the amount of complaining Soul Brother #1 did after he saw her (when recovering from rotator cuff surgery for the second time), I knew exactly whom I'd go to for my torture sessions.

Between sessions, I'm to do exercises to work on strength, extension and flexion. Yes, it's hard. Strike that, it's not hard. It's drudgery. But it's so much more preferable to living a sedentary life. I know I will get back in the water. That goal keeps me focused. Without the surgery, I'd be shit out of luck, dealing (badly) with constant pain, surfing fewer and fewer sessions until I stopped entirely. Fuck that. Who wants that? I'll sit quietly when I'm dead. Not before.

8 Comments:

At 5/8/09, 12:56 PM, Blogger pabs said...

You know after reading several of your blogs regarding your recent medical event, I began to wonder about something...I have had torn cartilage removed from both of me knees several years ago and I was told that I have a high probability of requiring knee replacement surgery in the future because of the possible onset of arthritis of the joint where there is no longer any cartilage.

Can you do me a favor Surfsister, can you ask one the many knowledgeable professionals that are currently working with you if this urban myth is true?

I would be very grateful to know if I need to prepare myself. Thanks.

 
At 5/8/09, 5:04 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I'm not a professional but I play one on TV. (What? No one remembers that commercial?)

I will ask, but I think we all know the answer. When I ripped my knee to shreds, one of the many things I did to it was tear the cartilage. That was 28 years ago. In the ensuing years, the cartilage wore away, leaving nothing but bone rubbing on bone.

Even without a tear, the cartilage can wear away (which is why you see so many people having knee replacement). Still, I will ask my physical therapist as she's the only professional I'll be seeing for awhile.

 
At 5/8/09, 7:58 PM, Blogger Worm said...

physical therapy is like the hardest and best thing on earth. just suck it up and do whatever stuff they say to do. i'm stoked i did.

an easy way to get through some of the home exercises for me was to play rockband (no joke). i just played the drums and the motion that your leg makes using the bass kick worked it out nicely.

 
At 5/11/09, 3:57 AM, Blogger Mick said...

Mary I haven't said anything lately but I have been dropping by. Good luck sweetheart. I'd love to bump rails with you again one day.
Mick

 
At 5/11/09, 5:52 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Hey, Mick! I've got a bunch of new boards in the quiver. Let's make a date to surf together again and see which one we can ding this time. I still laugh about that session.

I hope you're well. Something tells me your son is going to have some parts replaced when he reaches middle age, the daredevil. Thanks for the love, Mick!

 
At 5/11/09, 9:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

As Whitey Harrison said: "Let's Go, Let's Go"!

 
At 5/11/09, 1:58 PM, Blogger pabs said...

thanx fur the advance warning...I'm in denial, but know it's coming. Hopefully, it will be something that I do when I'm 64...like the song.

 
At 5/11/09, 7:56 PM, Blogger Tony Lewis said...

ACKKKK !!11!!OH NOES!!!

That is so kewl...
In a month, you will be kick boxing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home