03 February 2006

I've Joined the Club



Recently, both Ted and Jason blogged about being so disgusted with recent sessions (or the winter conditions) that they were both taking a hiatus from surfing until they knew they'd enjoy it again. I'm close to joining that club!!! Even Whiff is singing that tune as of today's session. (I thought I'd see him at the home break, but the fog made it impossible to clearly see anyone who was more than 50 yards away from me.) Now it's my turn. I swear I've forgotten how to surf. Or perhaps I never knew how to surf. Perhaps this is all a crazy dream that will only take 20 minutes in sleep time as opposed the four years that pass in my dream. And then I woke up this morning, dream long over, thinking I could actually surf. Oh, how wrong I was! Granted I was on the 7'0" . . . but still . . . !!!!!! No, it was not one of my better days in the water. Everything seemed a little off. My timing was off. The waves were off. My attitude was off. All I did was flail around. I think I caught half a wave . . . maybe. I'm wondering, now, if the fact that none of us can surf as regularly as we used to makes a difference in our surfing. I've not felt like myself in the water in a long time. I'm sure that will change soon . . . when I wake and find that it's four years ago, and I've not yet learned how to surf and this blog doesn't even exist! Am I in the Twilight Zone?

5 Comments:

At 2/3/06, 8:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yep, going more often not only ups the odds of a good session, it means your ready to make one too. I don't feel I've had a good session since... hmmm.... I'll have to go back and read my own stuff! I guess that's what I started blogging for in the first place!

 
At 2/4/06, 6:44 AM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

It's Winter, I'm telling you. Dark in the morning, dark in the evening and what was that other factor? Oh yeah...COLD. We're not the hardcore chargers that others who live for Winter surf are. Let's face it, we're [this] close to being fairweather surfers. A few sessions a month during Winter is the only thing keeping us from those ranks.

Guaranteed, all of us will be blogging away about great sessions once the time changes and the water temperature hits the lower 60s.

 
At 2/5/06, 7:38 AM, Blogger Jim said...

As a Michigander who's been in Northern Big Blue (Lake Michigan) during the mashed-potato ice of Mid-March, I've always scoffed UNKNOWINGLY at SoCal surfers whining about the cold surfing during Winter. How cold could it possibly be? There's balmy 70 degree days, sunshine all day long.... it couldn't possibly be that bad.

My boo- Whiffy has edumacated me with his comment alluding to great sessions once the water hits the lower 60s. OMFG! A cold plunge at health clubs is 50 degrees; I now bow in homage (and pronounce that 'H', everybody!)

 
At 2/5/06, 11:11 AM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

And you knuckleheads along the Great Lakes are out in shorts and tanktops when it's 65 degrees thinking it's "balmy". That's just nuts! :-)

 
At 2/6/06, 11:00 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

I also haven't been surfing as much as I have in past winters. I think part of it is that our skill level is better and we're pickier about the waves we do dip into 55-degree water for.

This past week, I've been trying to get into the water more regularly again, and I've noticed a change in my style. I haven't pinpointed it yet, but I definitely don't feel like I'm surfing the same as I was before. This is not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home