11 January 2006

Some Thoughts on "Duddy"

Don't know that word, do you? A friend who's known me essentially since birth used the word in conversation recently. I swear it's a word I'd not heard for decades. But there it was, sitting there in the sentence, making me smile. The word, in a nutshell, is a synonym for "weak," "whack," "lame". It's one of those words that every generation and racial group has to describe something that disappoints. I will use it in a sentence. Please pay attention. (Clearing my throat) "Both my day and my surf session were duddy." There. Now you know why the word disappeared from the vernacular once the 70's were over. Can a word be stupid? It's a stupid word.

Reasons for today's duddiness:
1. The Breakwater parking lot was closed and will remain closed for months;
2. There were no waves;
3. I took my longboard out and still managed to stink up the already rank water with my kookiness;
4. I only caught one wave;
5. I banged my head on the rear (hatchback) door after my session;
6. I closed the car door on my thumb later in the day; and
7. I went to the L.A. Auto Show and was underwhelmed.

Only a stupid word can do justice to a stupid day.

4 Comments:

At 1/11/06, 9:57 PM, Blogger Jim said...

When I was younger, a now-deceased friend used a word: zunked. He said it was the sound that airplane wheels made when they touched-down. It's the only one I could think of.

Better waves are ahead.

 
At 1/12/06, 11:02 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

Hahaha! Your post made me laugh. That wasn't "duddy" at all!

 
At 1/12/06, 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your word is groovy!

 
At 1/13/06, 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ended up not going out that day since work stuff greeted me at home. From your report it looks like work may have presented the better option. (Did I just write that?) Anyway, it was good to see everyone at the break though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home