14 January 2006

Triskaideka . . . what?

Triskaidekaphobia? What part of that word didn't you understand? (Don't worry. I know the word but was forced to consult the dictionary when the time came for me to put the word on paper.) Anyway, it's fear of the number 13. And as we all know, yesterday was Friday the 13th. Me being the odd person that I am, it's my favorite day. Now here's my odd logic. I like Fridays because I was born on a Friday. I like the number 13 because my first, middle, and last names begin with the 13th letter of the alphabet. So Friday the 13th holds a special place in my heart.

Yeah, I got wet again. The only place CYT and I found near the home break was in the bay by the street. There was one small peak there that was working. There were already about 10 people on it. We joined them. I must say I thought I would freeze to death yesterday. I was wearing my hoodie, a 4/3, and a fleece rashguard. After 10 minutes in the water, I felt like I was in Antarctica. Now that I'm 24 hours past that, I think I was so cold because I was already sick. (I now have a real cold; I called in sick today.) I wasn't surfing as well as I can. I wasn't feeling it. I got a few good waves, but my heart wasn't in it. At times, there was such a logjam of surfers that it felt like Malibu. I long for summer. I know I'll still be in a wetsuit. I just like being able to stay in the water for a few hours. During this cold weather, I'm only good for about an hour or an hour and a half.

Hair update: The locks are on their way. My hair is the longest it's been in 20 years. I can feel it beginning to lock in some new places. It's still going to be a long process . . . kind of like me learning to surf. The picture shows that my hair is now changing. Or, shall I say, "going back to Africa". (This was a comment I used to hear and say in my youth when my—or someone else's—straigthened hair started to get kinky again.) Black folks have a lot of weird sayings like that. That is one saying of which I don't approve as it denigrates the purity and beauty of the people on that continent while also showing self-hatred that's ingrained in blacks in this country. I'll stop here. I can feel myself looking about for a soapbox on which to stand. This is what my hair looks like now.

1 Comments:

At 1/15/06, 12:14 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Let it grow, let it grow, let it growwwww......

B-U-T-ful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home