12 July 2005

What Do You Do When You're Unemployed?

Surf! There's not much surf to talk about. I went back to the right point break I hit yesterday. There were fewer waves than there were yesterday, but there were many more people. I caught a few good long waves, took a few unsuccessful backside trips to the nose, and went home. I thought about riding today. But then I thought, "Why ride when you can surf?" Even a day of lackluster surf is better than playing in traffic. So I got wet. What else do I have to do all day really?

Well, let's talk about something more interesting. I know. You're saying, Surfsister, what could be more interesting than surfing? I'll tell you. I've worn my hair in a short natural for almost 20 years. It's the perfect hairstyle for me. But once my summer school class was cancelled, I decided it was time to do something different with my hair. I won't let it grow and get wild when I have a job. To me, doing so would be unprofessional. As we all know, I don't have a job at the time being. One of the first things I thought of upon being told my class was cancelled was that I could let my hair go wild for a minute. It's been perhaps a month since I cut my hair and now it's long enough to lock. (You know, as in dreadlocks. You know, Bob Marley and rastafarians.) Anyway, I'm supposed to get my hair locked on Thursday (after my surf session, of course—you do know a swell is coming, don't you?). Here's the rub: when you first lock your hair, you're not supposed to wash it for awhile. That also means I should not surf. You have to let the locks set. Do you really think I'm going to stay out of the water for that? I reminded the woman who's supposed to lock my hair that I do, in fact, surf five days a week. She then suggested that I put on a swim cap when I surf. A swim cap? In the water? While on my surfboard? Why don't you just spray paint the word "kook" across the front and back of my wetsuit! So now I'm at a crossroads. I'm still going to lock my hair. I'm still going surfing. But a swim cap? I think all of this has something to do with keeping the hair in place so that, as it grows, it will start locking naturally. I'm thinking maybe I'll just wear a baseball cap. My hair will get wet, but it will stay put. I told this dilemma to someone today. Hey, when it's flat, you start talking to the people around you, right? This woman said I should go ahead and wear the swim cap, but adorn it with crazy artwork. It's a thought . . . a bad one! I'm not feelin' this swim cap thing. Some of you may see me this week with dreads. Don't be surprised if you see me next week with my hair all cut off again. Staying out of the water so that my hair will look a certain way is not a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Now was that more interesting than talking about my boring session?

3 Comments:

At 7/12/05, 7:00 PM, Blogger gracefullee said...

I think you should spray paint the words "I am not a kook" on the swim cap.

Irony a la Magritte: "Ceci n'est pas une pipe." (This is not a pipe.)

We surf AND know high art. Wow.

 
At 7/12/05, 7:05 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Oh my god! You always make me laugh so hard!

 
At 7/12/05, 9:32 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

Why not reschedule? You've got 4 days of good surf ahead of you. Your knappies can wait, no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home