03 April 2012

File Under: "Move Along—Nothing to See Here"

I'm tired of the pool.

I'm sick of walking in the soft sand.

I no longer want to deal with pool therapy.

So, today, I strapped on some fins and rode my mat. Just because.

Yes, my ankle hurts now. Scar tissue has a way of temporarily paying you back for making it close up shop.

My surgeon called me today, interestingly enough, a few hours after I'd returned from the beach. He told me to start surfing. I told him the ankle still hurts when I try to pop-up. He would have none of it. He directed me to get back on a board, saying the pop-ups and other things that stress the ankle would help me rid the joint of even more scar tissue.

I guess that means I will probably start surfing again soon.

Even if it hurts.

6 Comments:

At 4/3/12, 11:36 PM, Blogger KK said...

YES!! or no?? i dunno, i'm confused... but glad you're progressing?? pain is weakness leaving the body! yarrrrr!!! but please take it slow!! moving and grooving definitely gets rid of the scar tissue.

 
At 4/4/12, 12:42 AM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

You know I think that is wise advice. I reckon I didn't use my ankle soon enough and a lot of scar tissue formed. It's difficult because the pain stops you wanting to use it for fear of damaging it further. But I think I caused myself more grief by not using it early enough.

 
At 4/4/12, 5:32 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

KK, this is a definite "YES"!!!! I'm just rather cool about it all. I'm thrilled to be back in the water, but I will be more excited when I can get on a board without being in pain. I've just awoken. I have little pain right now. But if I'm going to get this ankle back to 100%, I'm going to have to keep pushing it and causing myself pain. I will thank myself for that later.

 
At 4/4/12, 6:49 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

Stoked you got back in the water!

 
At 4/4/12, 4:07 PM, Anonymous Jeff said...

Great news!!!!!You must be stoked to get back in the water!

 
At 4/5/12, 11:05 AM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

Glad to hear you are back in the water.. and this is the DR. who is the "surfer" as well??? If it is.. I am sure with that combo Doctor/Surfer, he will not lead you astray!.. WELCOME BACK SS! The ocean missed you I am sure!..But I personally.. still don't want you over doing it.. BECAUSE I plan on some Surf Sessions with you soon.. and SOONER than you think!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home