31 March 2011

The Mental Health Day

I took the day off yesterday. They think I took the kid to the doctor. I was, instead, taking a break from my place of employment. I've finally come to realize why it's as bad as it is. No one is in charge. The patients are running the asylum. Case in point, I entered the request for this day off into the company's internal timekeeping system. About 20 minutes later, I got an email from the former head of my group, the one who no longer works for the company. She asked me to inform IT that my request, and others, were going to her personal email. She doesn't even work for the company anymore!! When I realized that my request was not being seen by the proper eyes, I inquired as to who is in charge of my section and, thus, my boss. No one seemed to really know.

This is where I work.

So, I took a day. Football players take a knee. I took a day. Granted, I took a day when spring was upon us. In other words, the spring waves were upon us too. I always forget that the waves of spring are ones you have to grin and bear. Spring is when the ocean often takes its own break. And more power to you, Mother Ocean. It's not about us. Do what you have to do, even if it means giving us those sad little waves that make everyone go "Meh!"

What I found at the beach wasn't much to speak of, but being in the ocean with the mediocrity of it all was still preferable to sitting in the madhouse all day. I know the home break closeouts well. They are predictable and, on a smaller day, relatively harmless. Being in their presence made me smile.

In other news, I talked to Shaun Tomson on the phone yesterday! Wooooot!!

7 Comments:

At 3/31/11, 5:54 PM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

Yep - a bad day in the surf is always preferable to a good day in the office.

 
At 4/1/11, 11:51 AM, Blogger goofykook said...

With the weather like this, I just knew you would want to be out on the sand.

 
At 4/1/11, 1:56 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Weather like this makes me want to quit. And I'd scheduled the day before I knew it would be that warm. I just needed to get wet and take a day away from the insanity.

The Devil Does Not Wear Prada. The Devil Wears ****.

 
At 4/1/11, 3:06 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

I am in desperate need of a Mental Health day... YOU have NO Idea!!!! .. but I am hoping to get out tomorrow.I am also hoping the weather cooling down and clouds that are suppose to come in will keep the people away so it is not too crowded on a Saturday.. WE shall see..I hope the crowds are not there because I am in one of those moods where I will RUN people over. HA!

 
At 4/1/11, 3:41 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Frankly, I don't think I'm going to make it through the probationary period. Either they will tell me they don't want me, and that's a possibility with this supervisor of mine, or I will tell them that I don't want the job, which is also a very real possibility. Working until 7:30 and 8 at night? Seriously? After telling me there wasn't that much overtime required. Liars!!

Do not get me started.

 
At 4/1/11, 4:41 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Number 1 photo is a great shot

 
At 4/2/11, 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got out to the ocean! It is indeed a place of complete solitude! We surfed at our local break yesterday and even though it was only one day after a horrific storm, the beach was packed! The irony? No one was in the water! It looked like a scene from Jaws when everyone was afraid to go in. Why? Too cold was my guess. I surfed the first 2 hours with my bathing suit and rash guard and then went for the wetsuit just so I could stay in longer. My only lament was going on the beach to re wax my board when I was approached by a guy who wanted to know what we were doing! Um surfing I said and then kept walking. I am not sure in a million years that I would ever walk up to someone and ask a question like that. It goes to show you that you are definitely safer in the water with your surfboard! I had one of my best days ever out there with the family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home