11 March 2011

There Are No Words

I take that back. I do have a few words.

Say a prayer for the Japanese. I'm not religious, so I don't pray. I do my own sending-of-good-karma-your-way kind of thing. But if you do pray, now is the time to put that energy to work.


Now I've got a message for Pat Robertson: Don't you dare say something stupid like you did when Haiti had its horrible earthquake. (And, you know, Kristi, something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon III and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, "We will serve you if you will get us free from the French." True story. And so, the devil said, "OK, it's a deal." And they kicked the French out. You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other.) In other words, keep your racist, jingoistic, God-loves-me-more-than-you mouth shut. Seriously. Shut. It!!

We must all live on this planet together. Let's keep the Japanese in our thoughts.


5 Comments:

At 3/11/11, 4:56 PM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

Just aweful. I feel so sad for the Japanese. I don't think any of us can afford to claim a position of safety or smugness. This is a more an issue of humility for ALL of us in the face of Nature and how we treat this planet, regardless of the fact that this crisis probably had little to do with human activity. Unfortunately though, maybe some of the choices made about nuclear power plants may have been unwise.

 
At 3/12/11, 1:50 AM, Anonymous Josh said...

Indeed. The current news in the UK is warning that there maybe a nuclear meltdown in progress at one of the countries reactors just to add to the catastrophe. That's all they need! My thoughts and prayers are well and truly with them.

On your point re: people making stupid remarks I saw a surfer in Cali write a tweet saying 'I know its a bummer for the Japs but do you think this will produce decent swell for us this weekend?'. What a senseless thing to write at a time like this. You've got to think above waves dude, I mean come on! People have lost loved ones, are in a constant state of fear and facing a nuclear disaster. Have some empathy.

 
At 3/12/11, 5:59 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Exactly, Josh. This has everything to do with being a human and nothing to do with being a surfer. I believe stupid people end up paying for that kind of apathy. What goes around, comes around.

 
At 3/12/11, 10:29 AM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

This tragedy hurts my heart more than I can express.. I have been sending good thoughts and prayers to all who are affected by this. Just Sad and heartbreaking! I was going to do a blog about it to..BUT I just can't, too much =(

 
At 3/13/11, 7:32 PM, Blogger Travel / Surf Guy said...

Hi Sis,
I couldn't agree more - we are still in the throws of our recovery from the earthquake that we had a couple of weeks ago but the devastation we faced (and are facing daily) is nothing compared to what is going on right now in Japan.
My heart goes out to them all and I am not a praying person but they are in my thoughts. Kia kaha Japan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home