03 August 2009

Namaste, Internet Readers and Friends

No, I don't do yoga or chant or speak in tongues. I wasn't sure of any other universal way to say thank you to everyone who reads this blog.

I've always liked the energy of the word "namaste". What? You don't think words have energy? Think again. It's not a word that could ever be misconstrued as an epithet or a pox upon your house.

Namaste.

I'm far from ready to paddle out on a regular basis. The knee remains swollen. I'm in pain every day. Massage therapy and physical therapy are still extremely painful. In other words, I'm not whole . . . yet. It takes much longer than three months to heal from joint replacement surgery.

Three months ago I could barely bend this leg. I was scared to death, certain my life as a surfer and athlete was over. To be able to paddle out a little over three months later is something for which I have no words. None.

I do have words for you.

Thank you.

Really. I don't know that I could have stayed as focused as I was without your help. I'm still amazed at how your comments kept me going. You guys may not realize it, but they did. I remember one period in particular when I was done. Fuck this. Fuck physical therapy. Fuck it all! I never expressed that explicitly on the blog. People easily read between the lines nonetheless. Several anonymous commenters gave me a swift kick, telling me, in essence, to get my shit together and stay serious about physical therapy. Wow. What's amazing is I listened. To anonymous comments, no less.

All of you, whether anonymous or named, know who you are. All of you know what you've done. You all can take credit for getting me back in the water.

Thank you, everyone!

To all of you,

NAMASTE

11 Comments:

At 8/4/09, 12:34 AM, Blogger Rui aka Bushman said...

Namaste

 
At 8/4/09, 5:29 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

the good in me bows to the good in you (and your bionic knee)

A yoga practice may be a very appropriate thing for you right now

 
At 8/4/09, 7:25 AM, Blogger Tony Lewis said...

Luv ya Sistah!
We are one big happy family here on the nets, mostly...lol...
Be down your way In October on my way to Baja...got a couch?
Take care and get some more!

 
At 8/4/09, 8:04 AM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

What Positive energy you also send through this computer via blog...
Namaste to you Surf Sister!

 
At 8/4/09, 8:19 AM, Blogger Steve and Cher Pendo said...

Really nice talking with you, Mary. Wishing you all the best for your speedy healing and waterfun. Hope that we can surf together sometime soon.
With warmest Aloha, Cher

 
At 8/4/09, 11:30 AM, Blogger Jamie Welsh Watson said...

Namaste to you too, I think I have a tear in my eye! xoxo

 
At 8/4/09, 12:06 PM, Blogger David J. Hirsh said...

No. Thank YOU!

Thanks to your experience and candor reporting it, I am inclined to put my knee replacement OFF a year or two, despite present daily pain, stiffness, and increasing incapacitation. I have been so ready for a change that I thought I would jump in this Winter and get the deed done. But events of the past 8 weeks, combined with your reportage and honesty, have lead me to change my mind. It now looks like I'll be coaching PONY baseball next spring and I can't afford to NOT recover in time to run a field practice (or get in an umpire's face). I wouldn't have known that if you hadn't been so forthcoming on this blog.

There's very little godly in me; I'm jut a guy. But I thank you from the bottom of my guy-heart and look forward to surfing all winter into next baseball season.

All the best,

David

 
At 8/4/09, 2:03 PM, Blogger Phishdoggie said...

Surfsister
Thank you for all of your info and courage under fire. I go under the knife Sept. 16. I'm a little nervous (I feel like I have been rehabing some part of my body my whole adult life) but I know with some guts and hard work I will get back in the water and be ready for my Central America trip in April. You are my inspiration. Keep up the great work.
Andrew

 
At 8/5/09, 9:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great post. Stick with the therapy and your goals and you'll reach them. I underwent kidney surgery 3 years ago. Had my entire side cut open (29 staples) right through my abs and obliques. Couldn't walk right for nearly a month let alone exercise. One thing was stuck in my mind, "I wanna surf!" These days I'm happy to say I surf more days than I don't surf so stick with it and you'll be paddling out soon! Namaste!

 
At 8/5/09, 3:05 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

I agree with Prana, yoga might be the best thing for you right now. I've fallen off the wagon though myself with a switch in gyms, but I wasn't a long term practioner. Still, I could feel a difference physically and mentally after a few months. So give it try, even videos are good way to go.

The light in me salutes the light in you. Namaste.

 
At 8/6/09, 7:04 PM, Blogger reverb said...

...hello gal,
in the past I had 2 (in different years) knee sprains (in the external ligaments)
1, 6 months to cure the other 3 months
but healed 100%
not chronically pain like most have

so be in mind that

cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home