10 October 2008

It's Going to Get Worse Before It Gets Better


I think we Americans have had just about enough of this shit. Between the economy, the presidential mud-slinging, and all of the other ills that are too numerous to list, we are a weary bunch of soon-to-be unemployed, homeless and penniless folks. I, for one, can't blithely blog through that. In some ways, I'm immune from what's going on. I haven't worked a full-time job in over a year, so I'm in no danger of losing such a job. Soul Brother #1, however, worries that he may not have a job to which to return once the doctor clears him to go back to work. At this point, we're figuring his 401(k) and my investments in the market (which my dad made years ago) are probably worth next to nothing. Thankfully, we have no car notes—finally got the last one paid off a couple of months ago. We're not struggling to get bills paid any more than usual.

Unfortunately, I was thinking it was time for me to start looking for work. While I will never pursue a career, every so often I take a break from my real life and go sit in a cubicle somewhere. I always think, "This will be the job I keep." Wrong. I inevitably get bored and quit. Anyway, it's time for me to find my next temporary permanent job, but there's nothing out there. And if Soul Brother #1's company goes under and I can't find work, what will happen then?

I'm not going to tell anyone how to vote. That's on you. Just remember it took this fool eight years to run the country into the ground and we're not going to pull out of this death spiral overnight regardless of who wins the election. It's going to be awhile before we all breathe a communal sigh of relief.

Fasten.your.seatbelts.

2 Comments:

At 10/11/08, 10:34 AM, Blogger Dogtownsurfer said...

I hate to pile it on when you are feeling bummed alreaday but I just finished reading I.O.U.S.A and let me tell you, this problem is going to take decades to fix. Between Medicaire, Medicaid and Social Security the US faces 53 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities by the year 2041. So, better plan on Social Security not being there for you, Medicaire and Medicaid bing drastically cut back but worse off all we are going to saddle our kids and grandkids with a standard of living we can't even imagine becuase they are the ones who are going to have tp pay the check for the unbelievably reckless spending this country has engaged in over the last ten years.

I am now saying that this will ultimately lead to the end of the country itself and we will end like Rome.

Enjoy!

DTS

 
At 10/11/08, 10:27 PM, Blogger dgm said...

Sadly, the spending's been going on for longer than eight years. Washington has been in spending mode since FDR. People will differ about whether this or that program or war was worth it, but let's be honest, Congress and presidents from both parties have been sticking it to taxpayers for a dreadfully long time. It's what they do best.

Crossing my fingers for SB #1 and his company, and for you when you get back out there to job hunt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home