27 June 2008

The Virtue Known as "Patience"

It's been a little more than three weeks since the injury and I am in no rush to get back in the water. I know it's the water, and its resistance, that will make me scream like a Banshee if I move the wrong way. There's still enough pain to give me pause when I think about surfing. The way I see it, I'll be ready to get back on a board when I can comfortably do the breaststroke. Right now, I can't even comfortably use a kickboard while doing normal kicking. I have no choice but to wait.

The bike, which I'd grown to hate in the years since I started surfing, is no longer being relegated to the recesses of my mind. It is my best friend for the time being, allowing me to maintain both strength and flexibility during my recovery. I want to surf . . . badly. However, I want to surf without pain.

I must be making decent progress with my recovery. I managed two workouts today: a 21 mile bike ride and a session in the weight room. The pain, when there was pain, was minimal. I'm determined to do what I can do. I can't surf yet. I can do just about everything else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home