28 November 2007

Two Wheeled Sights and Sounds


I didn't even consider paddling out in the dreck today. Although I did go to the home break, I didn't do so to surf. It was my starting point for my bike ride. I'm in training again. It's not for a race. It's for an ass-kicking. When Soul Brother #1 and I rode the other day, we ran into a group of riders who were assembling in the neighborhood for their own ride. I knew some of them, but most of them were new faces to me. We chatted with friends for a bit. Then I noticed this woman giving me a look that surprised me because of the anger behind it. I did not know her. I did know the look. Obviously, she felt this was her domain, that she ruled that roost. I was not welcome there. And you know what? Instead of laughing that look off, I interpreted it to mean that sista girl was calling me out. In other words, my ego took note and responded. As Soul Brother #1 and I rode away, I said things that still make me laugh because they came from me as a cyclist (and that's not the person I am off the bike or on the surfboard). "Oh no she didn't! Does she even know who I am?" (Oh my god!!! The fact that I even let those words slip out of my mouth cracks me up.) "Does she think she can bring it?" (As in "bring the noise" or, in my parlance, let her legs do the talking.) "Oh, I'm coming back to handle this!" There you have it. I've got to school this girl. Why? Because I can. Because I still have it in me to put another cyclist in his or her place. Because this may be the last time I feel this fired up and, now that I'm in my 40's, I don't know how much longer I'll have it in me physically to kick ass.

With that said, I rode up PCH today for the first time in about six years. I passed many a surf spot. Do you want to know how bad it was today? Malibu was empty! I don't mean there were a couple of people paddling around for no good reason. There was no one out there. That makes sense though. There were no waves out there either. Every spot I passed was flat and deserted. My friends at the home break all said I'd made the right decision going for a ride rather than a surf.

9 Comments:

At 11/28/07, 5:03 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Yeah kick some ass sis' I get the same way sometimes and use it for fuel to propell me to where I want to go.

surf on...
or bike on...
or how about
get it on !

 
At 11/28/07, 10:07 PM, Blogger twin said...

I know the look. I know the fueled feeling. I'm learning to let it go... (but only after I kick some ass). hehehe....

 
At 11/29/07, 6:29 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

nm, I knew you'd understand!! It's funny because I thought I'd put my competitive side to rest a long time ago. Alas, it's still there. I like that it comes back when I need it. I could probably take care of this on Sunday. My fitness is good from swimming. My legs are good from riding quite a bit of late and from lifting. That puppy's about to get schooled!

 
At 11/29/07, 8:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, throwing looks just for showing up? Spank that biatch!

 
At 11/29/07, 8:55 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Alan, she doesn't even know it's coming!! And the thing is, I already know she'll crack rather quickly. Behind the anger I saw fear. Never ever let me see you sweat! Once I see it, you're doomed.

 
At 11/29/07, 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO!! Go kick some biker ass, Sis.

 
At 11/29/07, 6:20 PM, Blogger dgm said...

You go, but remember to keep the sweet smile on your face. That'll really piss her off.

 
At 11/29/07, 7:51 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Smile? Just as there's no crying in baseball, there's no smiling in cycling!

Of course I'll smile, especially after I bust out a trackstand when we hit the first stoplight. That usually crushes the spirit of any weak ones in the pack.

 
At 11/29/07, 8:56 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

I was wondering what kind of things you'd do to kick her ass. Trackstands are impressive. Much better than the dragstrip race-off followed by a catfight that I was envisioning. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home